Narrowband

Small Telescope

I had a second-hand Skwatcher 127 Mak, cost me £160 and was very good value at that. Decent planet views at 100x. Compact and you can use a laptop PSU to power it! Tripod collapses to half height, OTA is compact.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I realise this goes against my original request but no one can ignore a bargain. I picked up an unused unwanted gift of an Astromaster 130EQ-MD. Not the greatest scope by a far way and I guess some would say not even worth the £30 I paid for it.

Many thanks to all who contributed their knowledge and advice to this thread.

Hi  again, No the Celestron 130EQ MD is not the "geatest scope" but it is still quite a capable scope that will certainly open things up beyond what the Travelscope will give you - and assuming all is well with it, at £30 you have a bargain.

I was bought the 130EQ as a very unexpected gift. As I got to use it, various issues presented themselves, one was the focuser which may not have been typical of the model, but the main one for me, (which seemingly doesn't seem to bother every owner quite as much as it did me!) was the tripod/mount which takes a while to settle down. This can be improved quite a bit with some DIY and with a couple of decent plossl EPs replacing the original issue EPs you have a very usable scope. Its not the portable scope you were looking for but I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Archived