SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New lunt 35mm, just delivered this morning :-)

Solar_observer

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All in all my worries of not seeing decent views were blown away........I CANT WAIT for more solar observations, I couldn't be more happy with my purchase and would DEFINITELY recommend it :-) :-) :-)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Result. See you were worrying over nothing :grin:

Oh I forgot.....when everything was in fine focus,I slowly turned the etalon wheel and too my aging eyes I could see nothing changing, what does this wheel exactly do? Thanks

The wheel tilts the etalon, shifting the centre of the passband. I initially felt it did little, until I applied a bit more force (scary at first), and managed to tilt it further (it can be a bit stiff). I then do notice distinct differences.

The wheel tilts the etalon, shifting the centre of the passband. I initially felt it did little, until I applied a bit more force (scary at first), and managed to tilt it further (it can be a bit stiff). I then do notice distinct differences.

wow......The wheel seems free to move but only so far one way and again the other......The manual says not too force it :( you were brave in forcing it,wasn't you Michael?

Result. See you were worrying over nothing :grin:

I was uplooker :-)

Even though the superb advice by you guys assured me they would be good, I still couldn't believe that considering this is a starter ha scope,it would give great views.

I would have thought the reason for a starter scope would be to give you ok views too tempt you too pay for the more expensive models and thus the "WOW" views but I'm getting them already......either that or I'm easily pleased :-)

wow......The wheel seems free to move but only so far one way and again the other......The manual says not too force it :( you were brave in forcing it,wasn't you Michael?

I certainly did not force it. When I unpacked the scope when I first got it, the etalon housing was flush with the main tube of the scope. The Etalon tuning ring moved freely over a short range, without the position of the etalon shifting. I did notice that on the one end of the range the tuning ring stopped abruptly, whereas the other end slowly became stiffer. Applying a bit more force at that end suddenly started to tilt the etalon housing, and I started seeing changes. After a few rotations of the tuning ring, with a clear gap between main scope and etalon housing on the side where the wheel is mounted there is another, more abrupt stop. That is other end of the full range of the tuner.

Things are starting too quiet down now. There is a really nice small spike prominence towards the bottom :-)

I think I've noticed a few small filaments too but I'm not sure if I'm imaging them lol.

I've noticed if I block out the light both sides with my hands,I can start to pick out better surface detail,what magnification do you recommend for surface detail? I assume you get better surface detail with double stacked systems? And NO I'm certainly in no rush to get a double stack model......IM WELL CHUFFED with my modest 35mm :-) :-)

Another one of those spike like prominence appeared to the left of the larger (fading) prominence,in a matter of mins it shrank too almost nothing. I'm astonished to witness almost movement in real time in this hobby of astronomy. Why oh why didn't I do this years ago??? .........

Cos I had no money, probably :(

CME's are normally associated with large prominences, I would imagine the prominence on super Monday produced a CME but to actually see one I would think you would be looking at using a mono video or something along those lines.

Well the clouds have stopped play :(

I've been out since 11am this morning and ENJOYED every minute. I've been in awe at what I've been seeing,how it's evolved and change over the course of the day and in some instances changed in a matter of minutes.

To me it was a lot of money to shell out on one scope which can only see 1 object but I can (hand on heart) say IT WAS WELL WORTH IT :-)

I've got a feeling that my dob is going to take a big back seat but it will always be there for when events arise.

I think.....NO......I know I'm heavily into solar now, I don't know exactly why but this beats night time astronomy (just my opinion) yes I love the transits of Jupiter (shadow/moon), Saturn, comets and close viewing of the moon. Those come second but I've found my first and foremost object to view and by gum......ARE THE VIEWS GOOD.

Archived