SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

New lunt 35mm, just delivered this morning :-)

Solar_observer

All set and ready to go when the sun comes out (looks like tomorrow now)

Just been reading through the instructions and in the part about focusing it says the first thing to do is pull the nose of the diagonal out by about 10mm......then focus the eyepiece.....then adjust the etalon.

Why do you have to pull out the diagonal and do you have to do this every time I focus? Thanks post-25258-139826031738_thumb.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Congrats! It certainly looks ready to rock and roll, that looks like a practical setup for solar bliss :laugh:

In one year I have not gone one week without some kind of solar view, though I am able to view during lunch at work in the week and am lucky that from our garden we can just about still catch the Sun when it is at its lowest in the Sky in winter (with a bit of musical chairs to avoid the telegraph pole cables getting in the way). My solar scope has been used more than 10x as much as my dob.

I'm really looking forward to it Luke, I want to make a REAL go at solar observing but I'm a bit nervous about the possible views in the fact that I will be disappointed in the views but I've been assured I won't be :-)

Been following you guys and the reports on what you have been seeing and it really excites me.....ok you guys have better scopes by far but if the views are half decent I will be over the moon......haha or should I say sun :-)

Excellent purchase Skem,

It will transform your viewing experience from cold and damp to hot & crispy :grin: Now you have double the chance to get out there and observe.

If you need any help please fell free to ask :smiley:

Thanks guys. I'm confused about the way you have to pull out the diagonal to focus but ed (ngc 1502) a VERY generous guy on here who has the same scope,is helping me along with it. I'm sure though I will be picking all your brains VERY soon :-)

Congrats on the purchase. Don't worry about being disappointed with the views as some days the sun is fairly quiet. I have had mine around 3 weeks but got the first real WOW factor yesterday. The solar finder is the best accessory ever, I was lucky as mine was aligned beautifully on the scope 1st time of asking.

Welcome to the world of close up stargazing.

I don't think you will be disappointed! I've had a look through a few PST's with I think the same aperture and they gave lovely views. Good luck for some sun tomorrow!

Oh and of course you need your solar accessories. Suntan lotion, sunglasses and silly-looking hat :grin:

Have no worries whatsoever about being disappointed with view. I think you are more likely to have a problem getting out enough. You may think that clouds only affect the darkside of astronomy - but let me assure you they most definitely affect solar viewing / imaging. That's another thing, you will look to a decent mono camera so that you can actually image what you are seeing. Oh, and if you thing that is adding to the expense wait until you discover double stacking :evil:

Ian

Very nice scope. I bought one (with B400 filter), secondhand some time after the transit of Venus in 2012. Several were offered on the Dutch equivalent of ABS, and this caused the prices to drop, so I bought one thinking that if I was disappointed I could sell it for roughly the same again. It is still with me, and isn't going anywhere (unless I manage to get an LS60). I was instantly blown away by the quality of the image. I later managed to get a B1200 blocking filter for the price of a new B600). Slight overkill but I now have a HUGE sweet spot. Note that I never found the B400 that restrictive. I even managed some images with it, even though people say you need a B600 at least. You should have loads of fun with it. Clear skies!

YEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAA.......clears skies :-) shower...walk the hound and then scope out :-) :-) :-)

Good luck, will be waiting on a report :)

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Congrats mate. I'm sure you're going to absolutely love it. I was cautious in the same way as you when I purchased my PST without ever having looked through one and was completely blown away. I adore that little scope!

Look forward to hearing your thoughts.

Aaron

Well.......got the scope out and put my 20mm tv plossl in and got the sun dead in the centre of the sol finder and nothing (I knew it wasn't aligned) it took me ages to get the sun centred .....lol

Ahhhhhh.....there it is, a full red disk but not in focus. I locked the scope and promptly adjusted the finder (job done) :-)

Ok.....pulled the diagonal out and as I was doing this slowly,I could see the limb of the sun getting sharper. :-) locked and then began to fine tune into focus with the helical........OMG........WOW......WOW.....

I WILL NEVER FORGET MY FIRST VIEW :-) the full disc hung in a pitch black background and what really stood out was the prominence on the limb at 8o'clock. It's the biggest one at the moment and it looked stunning. Delicate in structure and the detail is amazing, can't believe that prominence is maybe twice as big as the earth and I'm looking at it :-)

I watched this for about 20mins before having a good look around. There are plenty more all be it a lot smaller. I could make out spicules (is this correct?) Very tiny spike like structures on various areas of the limb,again the detail was breathtaking :-)

The surface I could make out granulation and a few sunspots but no filaments or flares....can I see these with this scope?

I used my 15mm and 11mm tv plossls too and the 11mm seemed to be the best but by this time high cirus cloud really did take the sharpness off the image :(

All in all my worries of not seeing decent views were blown away........I CANT WAIT for more solar observations, I couldn't be more happy with my purchase and would DEFINITELY recommend it :-) :-) :-)

Archived