Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
SteveL

NGC2264 Xmas Tree + Cone

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 15×600s, CLS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker (2 x drizzle)

Post Process: ImagesPlus (2xbin) + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

Notes: Some isues with color gradient due to the flats (need to get them sorted outonce and for all!). Its possibly a little over processed, but not sure.... not much noise in it. I may end up going back to process this one again.

(Clickon the image for the larger version)

ngc2264_20080209_small.jpg

You see what you've made me do? Comment on two images today!

I'm currently listening to 'Psalm 22' by Bitstream and it kind of sounds like the discordant choral section from 2001 (at the end) goes electro and having a good look at this makes me go a little 'woo' like I'm flashing through the nebula itself. I need to have a lie down.

BTW. Nice pic Steve.

Tony.

That's a huge long exposure with the Hyperstar Steve. The gradients aren't visible on my work monitor. You've pulled out a huge amount of stuff and it really is very impressive. It does look a bit grainy, not sure why that should be, may be it has been pushed a bit too hard

I think it looks grainey because of the number of dim stars its pulled in. Also, the gradient didnt do it any favours. Maybe (and this could be a first!), Maybe I have actually over exposed the subs. Less stars would have been far better.

I`ll go and take another look at it today and see ifI can be a little less agressive in the processing