Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Attic Room Observatory

Pluto

The time has come to show my set up its taken 5/6 months to complete.Having no choice but to convert

my Attic room into an observatory,first i have to replace my small velux window with a much bigger one,

then with help from dippus we modified it we took the glass part out and replaced it with sliding plastic among other things.

then dippus made a mount but i had problems with the mount late in the evenings where the back end of the cameras would hit the

frame, so dips came up with an idea about having an adjustable mount,first position for viewing second position for taking pictures.

so here are the pics. o by way the window hasn't leaked we all know what winter we all have had. and so far no heat or vibration problems.

3622_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3623_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3624_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3625_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

3626_normal.jpeg

(click to enlarge)

I'd be very keen to hear more about how you achieved this, the size of the window and in particular the plastic sliding mod. How did you manage to stablise the mount?

Reason being I've been tinkering with this idea for 3-4 yrs, the house is quite high and the view of the whole of the southern part of the sky would be very good.

Karlo

You have broken a few conventions here, and I admire you for it. I really do hope it

does the business. This may be a very important trial, and the outcome, if successful, could trigger a few more of these being implemented.

A number of interested guys will be waiting eagely for your reports, both viewing and imaging.

It certainly looks the Bees Knees.

Ron. :D

So far for viewing its been fine bang on the spot.Imaging wise haven't had a clear

night as soon as i get clear night i will post the images as well

as all the spec for the window and the mount and step by step instructions.

I have a room with two velux windows one on each side of the room, I would be really interested in particulars of how you replaced the glass, and how you get the plastic in and out as I can not see it in the pictures you show.

New to all this and this may be a better alternative to converting the shed.

Great idea if you have no garden or no where else to view from but if you have then its best to avoid the hot air that will rise through the house. Nice bit of engineering to get the two position of the mount.

Must be quite a sight from the neighbours seeing that rise up out of the roof.

Regards

Kevin

I was wondering about the rising heat myself, as well as the possible springiness of the attic. I once took my C8 and tripod up to the roof with the idea that the house is very stable. I was shocked at how much like a trampoline the roof was! Made me look at the ceiling from inside differently, I can tell you. :D

Well there is no heat problems what so ever, with both velux windows open

all day a couple of nights ago the room temp around midnight was around -2.

well put it this way i couldn't sit in there for more than 10 Min's or so.

as far as the mount haven't really put it to the test as yet, when i do i will post the images.

O by the way the building isn't a house,its my work place

Archived