SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

best Saturn 18.04.2014

Pete Presland

another planetary best :grin: taken in the early hours of Friday morning. the usual C9.25/ASI120MM 4000 @ R, 3000 @ G & B stacked around 600-700 per channel. i decided to keep the histogram level to around 40-50% full rather than the 60-70% i use for Jupiter. this is because i feel that the low altitude benefits from slightly less, the same i have used for Mars as well. the higher histogram levels seem to result in lots of blurring around the edges of the disc.

seeing conditions were reasonable despite Saturn's low atitude. stacked in registax, sharpened lightly in photoshop

absolutely delighted to get a hint of polar vortex!

post-5271-0-63994900-1398189439_thumb.pn

i think this might be the last planetary imaging session for a while, as its been virtualy non-stop since the beginning of the year!

Good effort on a difficult target and interesting thoughts on going for a lower histogram. I'll have a go at this myself.

typed on my mobile with Tapatalk

it was something i tried on Mars for the first time. due its low position and the poor seeing conditions, when i was capturing the image just seemed extremely blurry/noisy around the edge of the disc. so reducing how full the histogram was did seem to help, although doing this did coincide with better conditions. it is ironic that when increasing on Jupiter a couple of months back, i thought that every planetary image i did would be done at that level. it goes to show there are no "set in stone" settings and it is always worth trying a little experimentation.

That is indeed an excellent effort Pete. Nice banding evident. I had a go a few nights ago.....less said the better.... :rolleyes:

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived