Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_30_second_exp_2_winners.thumb.jpg.b5430b40547c40d344fd4493776ab99f.jpg

I've been offered a vixen 90mm f11 on a skyscan 2001 mount. All for £80. Is this reasonable? I'm hoping it offers better contrast for viewing planets. My heritage 130 is a bit of a let down for planetary viewing.

I would snap it up, its got a genuine Vixen Japan optics, but check to see if it takes 1.25 ep`s or .09 size, if it dont take 1.25 ep`s not end of world as you can get an adaptor, if in good condition then go for it

Yes, go for it, a great telescope.  Don't let the seller see these comments!  :smiley:

• Like 1

Vixen make great products. A genuine Japanese 90mm (f11) vixen scope (i'm guessing a refractor, as i dont know the scope but the specs sound like a refrac), for 80 quid sound like a bargain.

It does all depend on condition though. It could be a great buy, or a pile of scrap.

I'm amazed that your Heritage isnt giving you good views of the planets, especially as you are in Cornwall. I have the same scope and it gives me very pleasing views of Jupiter and Saturn. Mars in any scope is a little beggar to view. Ive found some lovely DSO's with my Heritage.

I also have a 90mm (f11) refractor and i swear to this day that i have had the best views of the inner planets with it. 

As already said, a great deal for a quality Japanese achromat refractor. If it's adapted for 1.25" eyepieces that would be good but you can get adapters. These scope were originally marketed in the late 1980's / early 1990's.

It will show very nice views of the moon, major planets and binary stars.

The Skyscan 2001 mount is the same as the Skywatcher EQ3-2 although, if you are lucky, it will actually turn out to be Vixen's Standard Polaris mount which was again Japanese made to quite high standards.

I'm having a look at it tomorrow. It sounds like the real deal. It was put together for a teenager just getting into astromony by a local astro club. The lad has now lost intrest and I think its funding a car part etc...

I've had some of my best planetary views with a 60mm f15. I managed to see multiple belts and details on Jupiter recently. These long throw refractors really give a pleasing contrasty view. And they look so classic.

I'm now the new owner of a genuine classic vixen 90mm f11, complete with equatorial mount eyepieces and polar scope for £75. Photos later after it's been cleaned,

• Like 1

I'm now the new owner of a genuine classic vixen 90mm f11, complete with equatorial mount eyepieces and polar scope for £75. Photos later after it's been cleaned,

Congratulations! A good buy I think, look forward to a first light report in due coarse if the clouds ever clear.
  • Like 1

I'm very pleased, my first proper scope. I'll look after it! My heritage has been the instrument of much experimentation. It works but is an eyesore. Perhaps I'll sell the mirror set and goto mount now.

Nice one. I'm not a fan of EQ mounts, but a 90mm (f11) refractor in my experience gives great views (and in particular, the inner planets).

congrats on getting the vixen, should turn out a good scope

I'm blown away. Speechless,I've just had my best ever view of Mars and Jupiter. Polar ice cap and dusty markings on the Martian surface, small but perfectly formed. And mighty Jupiter, - such a treat, several bands and festoons,so much detail. I'm hooked. And I prefer the eq mount to my goto. So if anyone would like a goto alt az minus the original battery pack I've got one that I'm not planning on using anymore.

• Like 1

Very nice looking scope  :smiley:

Are you using the equatorial mount in alt-azimuth mode ? - it's a bit hard to see it in the photos.

John, - yes just for a quick grab and go! I'm hoping to clean it all up and have a proper first light at the weekend. I'll polar align it then I think.

The lad that was selling the scope had it as a Christmas present when he was 12. Five years on he's using the money to buy an x box game!

The lad that was selling the scope had it as a Christmas present when he was 12. Five years on he's using the money to buy an x box game!

Now that's sad when a young lad thinks being indoors with an Xbox beats being out there looking at the Wonders of the Universe.

I've had one of these since I bought it new about 15 years ago, it's a fine refractor although it does show some fringing on a bright moon limb. Other than that it's pin sharp and has a nice focuser.

ChrisH