Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

BST Explorer/Starguider

Steve91

Its quite possible that one day, the ED60° range  (note I did not singularly specify Starguider :icon_biggrin:)  will become a reference standard for  many other eyepieces on the market, based on their performance! and why not?

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Charic said:

Its quite possible that one day, the ED60° range  (note I did not singularly specify Starguider :icon_biggrin:)  will become a reference standard for  many other eyepieces on the market, based on their performance! and why not?

I suspect that cost is a big decider on a "standard". It used to be that the "standard" was the TV plossl. Then TV raised the cost and that put their plossl's out of the reasonable option for many upgrading from the supplied items. I was collecting them and when they went from £40 to £70 I kind of gave up on them. The 32mm and 40mm TV plossl is presently around the £100 mark.

At that time the BST's came out as Explorers here and were excellent, and filled nicely the hole left by TV plossls. Seen it said that whoever designed them got it right, although I should go look at the older Orion ED2's that were around earlier but never caught on. Just a thought that might have they rebodied the optics.

The Celestron X-Cel's around at the time were significantly higher cost then the BST's. They are still more in cost but I thing their price has dropped by £12-£15 so as said they were significantly more costly and in a way I guess they missed the boat. I do think the X-Cel's have a better selection of focal lengths.

So far Alan has kept the BST cost to <£50 (just) I wonder what would happen if that changed to £60 ?

I believe that the wholesale cost of BST Starguiders is a bit less than £20 apiece so £50 retail maintains a decent margin.

They are good eyepieces though (I recently had the 8mm, 12mm and 18mm for a while) so perhaps SGL should club together and place a large order with the manufacturer, get them branded as BST Stargazers and make them available at, say £35 apiece including delivery ?

3 hours ago, John said:

I believe that the wholesale cost of BST Starguiders is a bit less than £20 apiece so £50 retail maintains a decent margin.

They are good eyepieces though (I recently had the 8mm, 12mm and 18mm for a while) so perhaps SGL should club together and place a large order with the manufacturer, get them branded as BST Stargazers and make them available at, say £35 apiece including delivery ?

Would be good if they could extend the focal range to, say, 40mm (if the design allows, of course)

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Would be good if they could extend the focal range to, say, 40mm (if the design allows, of course)

In the 1.25" barrel size the apparent field would be limited to 43 degrees so you could argue that a decent plossl is a better bet at that focal length ?

A 2" version in in the longer focal lengths might be interesting although I suspect the price would be higher (if the quality is to be maintained) and you would end up with something like the Skywatcher Panaviews or maybe the Aero ED's.

John, what an interesting idea, i would be keen to see this happen, but would require a good investment to get of the ground, i dont think Alan would be to happy at being priced out of a nice market

12 minutes ago, nightfisher said:

..... i dont think Alan would be to happy at being priced out of a nice market

But competition is a good thing ? - as Alan himself says "If there is no difference - why pay it ?" :icon_biggrin:

Dare I say FLO could order them and make them available for less but I have resisted doing so because I suspect the 'landed price' is higher than you think, then you must consider and deduct the value of those that are not 100% (Chinese supply is normally a one-way-street). 

I will see what I can do... :smile: 

HTH, 

Steve 

1 hour ago, John said:

In the 1.25" barrel size the apparent field would be limited to 43 degrees so you could argue that a decent plossl is a better bet at that focal length ?

A 2" version in in the longer focal lengths might be interesting although I suspect the price would be higher (if the quality is to be maintained) and you would end up with something like the Skywatcher Panaviews or maybe the Aero ED's.

yeah, very true, didn't have my brain in gear....first day back at work 'n all that!

26 minutes ago, FLO said:

I will see what I can do... :smile: 

So I am clear, I think we are talking about the 'Starguider' eyepiece sold by Skies Unlimited at eBay for £49, aka the 'BST Explorer ED' at 365astronomy for £46.40?  Aren't we? :smile: 

14 minutes ago, FLO said:

So I am clear, I think we are talking about the 'Starguider' eyepiece sold by Skies Unlimited at eBay for £49, aka the 'BST Explorer ED' at 365astronomy for £46.40?  Aren't we? :smile: 

Those are they Steve :thumbright:

The have also been available under Orion (USA), Telescope Services and Astro Tech brandings at various times, often at a higher price than the BST branded ones.

On 03/01/2017 at 17:30, Charic said:

...YES! and if there's a 6mm in the offering, I`ll be the first to buy, Not sure why any of the branded versions have not produced one yet?

The manufacturer doesn't appear to list a 6mm. 

On 03/01/2017 at 17:37, nightfisher said:

@FLO if you choose to stock these and have them branded, what would you name them BST  "STARLINE"

I don't know. You appear to be thier No.1 fan, Charic, what name would you like to see? :smile: 

Thankyou Flo:happy3:

All I need is a Starguider 6mm to complete my set.

As for a  new name......................................................................................................?

I'd say Johns suggestion is most apt! 

Archived