Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Mars first and secomd attempts

Marki

Hi all

My first imaging attempts at Mars :)

This is from the 17th April c. 23:30hrs using a Skylight 100mm f13 at f32.5 (x2.5 powermate) on an AZEQ6GT, using a DFK21AU04.AS c. 400 frames in RegiStax6 and MS paint. Not sure why its not in colour though - seemed to show colour on the livescreen. Maybe I missed some setting telling the software to record in colour.

post-20607-0-44394700-1397927111.png

This is from the 18th April c.23:15hrs using an Istar Persues150mm F10 @f25 (x2.5 powermate), same mount and same camera, c.2500 frames in RegiStax6 and GIMP/MS Paint. Same issue with the colour, but didn't like to try to colourise the processed results.

MARS19.bmp

The Istar had lot more colour spill than the f13 frac, so maybe a fringe killer might help. Plus I had real difficulty in focussing, especially in the Istar - too much flex in the train, so that whenever I tried to alter the focus, Mars vanished from the screen - very frustrating! Need to think about making this much more rigid, and/or investing in a better focusser and/or motor focus device.

I'm beginning to appreciate what a dark art (and how addicitive) this astrophotograhy malarky is, and developing a much greater respect for the quality and skills I see in the images regularly posted in this forum!

Any thoughts/criticisms/advice gratefully received!

Thanks knobby. Capture was with whatever it is that comes with the imaging source software (IC capture I think), and something called ArcSoft webcam suite's Magic-I software seems to start-up automatically as well - I just use the defaults in that. Bought the camera two years ago, but have only just got around to playing with it, and there seems to be so much still to learn.

Archived