Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

DeepThought

A very noisy Leo triplet

Hi

Here's my first attempt at the Leo triplet.

EVpxbVZ.jpg

As a beginner i'm happy enough with it but I wondered if anyone had any suggestion on dealing with the noise?

I suppose the obvious solution is not to capture it in the first place and reduce the ISO, but I'm not getting a lot of signal when I do that. Would stacking a greater number of darker frames yield the same results or do I need to think about longer exposures?

Cheers

Using any noise reduction specifically the color noise slider will take care of this.

What are the capture details for this image? How many frames at what settings? Have you used darks, flats and bias frames? What have you used to process the images?

Oh and that's a great first attempt! You have the target nicely framed, it's in focus and the stars are round. No doubt that you can also improve too, so a great start!

That's 30x 60 second exposures using my Skywatcher Skymax 127 on an unguided EQ5. Taken using an unmodified Canon 1100D.

No darks, flats or bias frames were used, they're my next challenge.

Stacked in DSS and adjusted in Photoshop.

wow thats brilliant, especially considering its your first, well done fella

Definitely need to take some darks and subtract them in processing - can't help with specifics of DSS as I don't use it. That will make a huge difference to the noise.

Flats and bias are definitely worth investigating and mastering, they will help to improve images too.

Good luck with the AP journey!

Drop the ISO to 800, the 60 seconds is about right you could go to 90 see if it tracks ok.....

Wonderful indeed, you obviously have a knack for it, dont know about noise, but if i could produce that id be happily shouting myself.

Hi

Here's my first attempt at the Leo triplet.

EVpxbVZ.jpg

As a beginner i'm happy enough with it but I wondered if anyone had any suggestion on dealing with the noise?

I suppose the obvious solution is not to capture it in the first place and reduce the ISO, but I'm not getting a lot of signal when I do that. Would stacking a greater number of darker frames yield the same results or do I need to think about longer exposures?

Cheers

Drop the iso to 800, icrease the exposure time to120s if the tracking allows it, take about 45 frames and you really need the Darks, about 35 and Bias about 50+. Good flats will help tease out the fine detail . Well done as it is a very tricky target even for experienced imagers.

Regards,

A.G