Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet / 2012 k1 Panstarrs in Bootes

For those who have not observed it yet I managed to get my 1st View of this Comet with my 8" newt last night.

The moon was just past full, but is low down (behind houses too) and the sky was pretty clear and dark so I gave it a go, for 30 minutes of

getting the right bit if sky lined-up, then examining a couple of red-herrings and shazam.......2012 K1!

It is not tiny, but it isn't big either, and between mag 9.6 and 9.9 I would say so will look better as the moon moves further away and gets smaller, but The head is quite well defined, and the tail shows itself for a short distance (before it got too diffuse for last nights moony sky).

At its brightest it could get to mag 8, and it should look great gluiding past M51 in a couple of weeks.

One to watch around new moon

Clear skies

Mick.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Managed this last night having read this thread. I put the co-ordinates in from Luminos and there she was . This was around 3.00am so the moon was bright and I couldn't see much detail but going to be one to watch. Good to get a comet back- been starved since Lovejoy.

Nice photos folks,

We've had a rubbish run of nights of late and these are keeping me going

I Managed to spot the ISS last night just before it fade in front of Spica but that was my entire night and it's manky

Here again.

Hope your having better luck

Mick

Monday and Tuesday nights are supposed to be good skies. I get done with work at 10:30pm and then I will be out in the backyard. Saturday is also supposed to be very good and if so I will be heading out to one of my dark sites for some proper imaging.

I am glad I found this thread also. What's up with Heavens-Above? It seems that lately they have really been overstating the magnitude of the comets they list. They currently have this comet listed as magnitude 14.1! If I had not come across this thread, I would not have bothered to look for it. I easily swept it up with my 20x80 bins, in which it appeared as a relatively large circular patch of nebulosity brightening towards the center (much, much brighter than mag. 14.1) sitting right next to a prominant star. With the 120mm, I could dectect hints of a stellar like nucleus and a short, broad tail.

Managed to see this comet this evening with the 10" dob. Not the best of views, but I was taking a chance with the forecast being rather poor with high humidity and rather poor transparency. Still, I managed to see the comet, albeit rather hazily. Followed it off and on for a few hours, but the view didn't really improve too much. Now looking forward to a darker, clearer sky and another chance to observe it.

Dave.

Archived