Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Markarian's chain... and lots of friends...

SteveL

Just how many objects can you pack into a single image? I left this running as my second sequence of the night while I got some sleep early this morning. Normally I`d stay up all night, but with Saturday (and possibly Sunday/Monday/Tues/etc) looking clear, I`ll need some sleep or I`ll completely lose the plot.

OTA: NS8GPS @ f/2 (Hyperstar v3)

Guiding: William Optics ZenithStar 66 SD + DSI-C + PHD

RGB Imaging: QHY8 + MaximDL, 24×600s, CLS

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker (2 x drizzle)

Post Process: ImagesPlus (2xbin) + PSCS2 + Noel Carboni’s AstroTools

Lets see... Astrometry says I have:

* NGC 4374 / M 84

* NGC 4388

* NGC 4402

* NGC 4406 / M 86

* NGC 4425

* NGC 4435 / The Eyes

* NGC 4438 / The Eyes

* NGC 4459

* NGC 4461

* NGC 4473

* NGC 4477

* NGC 4486 / M 87

* NGC 4501 / M 88

* IC 3475

* NGC 4531

* NGC 4548 / M 91

* NGC 4552 / M 89

* NGC 4569 / M 90

* NGC 4571

But I`m sure the larger version shows a fair few faint fuzzies in the background...

(Click on the image for the larger version)

20080208_groupshot_small.jpg

20080208_groupshot_small_astrometry.jpg

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maybe its because I`m running on less than 3 hours sleep for two nights in a row (and looking like at least another one on the way), but I am honestly very surprised at the reaction this image has created, both here and on UKAI. I had expected it to be an "also ran" image, and I had to post something from the other night, but it appears that this wide/deep field work has more than just a few supporters (aka fanatics :D ).

Maybe I should look at doing this more often...taking a wider look at (and around) some of the smaller targets that we usually only see close up.

(Quick edit: blimey! It must be floating some peoples boat... even Tony posted a comment about an image :D )

:D :D

Don't get me started on Cambourne mate, I have too much fun winding Jo up about it not being a 'proper town'!

Yeah, I don't comment a great deal about images, my post count is high enough!! (that's not to say I don't rate any of them, I do!!) But that really is rather special Steve, m a s s i v e FOV and just so much to pick out. Glorious.

EDIT: Looks good for a couple of days yet, you're going to need some Red Bull or something....

Tony..

Steve,i think what is so appealing about widefields is they give the "bigger picture" perspective in more ways than one,gives you an idea of the vastness of it all,also the fact that this pic is so brilliant. :D

Archived