Which field of view eyepiece

I recently posted a topic asking about which focal length eyepiece I should buy.After some good advice I have decided to go for a Televue 17mm. I have had 68 degree field of view eyepieces before.

But Televue supply the

Delos 17.3mm which has a 70 degree field.

The Nagler 4 which has an 80 degree field.

The Ethos which has a 100 degree field of view.

I cannot imaging the experience of what a view through an eyepiece with an 80 degree field let alone a 100 degree field of view would be like :eek: :eek: . Being Televue I am sure that they work well enough.Has anyone experienced views through these eyepieces?

Martin.

Martin,

I would go for the Delos myself even though I have the Ethos. You don't appear to be totally struck on the ultra wide field of view offerings and both that you mention are a good deal more than the cost of the Delos. The Delos is 72 degrees FOV and it is a flat field at that, where as the next most expensive will no doubt have some pincushion at the edges like all the Naglers I have had, though this is not one of them. The 17mm Ethos is again as far as I can see a flat FOV but is twice the price plus of the Delos and unless you are really head over heals about one, I would leave it alone. There is nothing wrong with the Ethos it's a fabulous eyepiece but with a whopping price tag.

The other hidden danger is buying the Ethos will make you fall in love with them and fall out with the Bank Manager.

So my advice is Delos.

Alan

Either one would be an excellent addition for anybody.I love my 17mm Ethos,my favorite low power Ep.People have highly rated the 17.3 Delos as well.I like the bigger field stop diameter of the Ethos 29.6mm vs Delos 21.2mm.

The views through my 10" dob with the 17mm Ethos are fantastic,the Veil nebula is spectacular,NA neb,M42 is stunning with it and then there are the star cluster views....It is also my search eyepiece for galaxy hunting even with a largish exit pupil in the dob for this.Oh and I forgot M31 and its nice dust lanes in it,great contrast.

I got a real deal new on this EP or I woulld have waited for a used one or a sale...Can't go wrong with either,I'm just a low power widefield junkie!

I have two 68 degree Maxvisions, and an one ES 82 degree.

Although it is a "nice to have", I don't need 82 degrees.

You will be paying for a view which is hidden around the corner, needing a slight tip of the head to see it all.

The choice was very limited when I needed to fill a critical gap at 6mm / for 200x mag.

I bought the Delos, and it does everything I need.

72-degrees is plenty.

Hi Martin,

At my Astronomy Cub last, I was treated, at my request, to viewing through a 22mm Nagler in a 10"

Dob,and I simply could not believe the difference over the eyepieces that I use. The magnification

with the wide field is simply stunning. As this was the first time I have looked through a Quality

eyepiece, I might have been a bit carried away but all I have thought about this morning

is how and when I can purchase this sort of eyepiece. The beauty of this quality item is that

it will probably replace a number of my plossl's in one go.

I am a convert. Now what can I sell.............

of those three I'd go for the Delos I think. the most comfortable field is around 70 degrees based on my experience with Panoptics but I also have two Naglers and an Ethos and as above, you cannot really go wrong in truth. I have a mix of eyepieces from 40 degrees to 100 degrees AFOV and they all have their place and uses. a word of warning though. I may be unique amongst observers but find that lunar observing with wide fields (e.g. my 13mm ethos and 26mm Nagler) is uncomfortable and I see weird chromatic effects (blue/pink flashes across the whole field as I move my eye around) and so prefer plossls/radians for this sort of observing specifically. on all other objects they are unaffected. possibly just my eyes but thought I'd mention it.

I am going to pay a visit a shop in London and try out the eyepieces mentioned.I will then buy one.

Thanks for all your advice.

Martin.

Archived