Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Televue range??

Steve_meg

As some of you may have seen I have been upgrading and adding to my eyepieces. During this process I have purchased two tv eyepieces, a 8mm plossl and 17.3 delos.

I have seen others for sale, such as a 19mm panoptic. However there seems to be a fair few different tv models I am a bit confused of the differences.

Are different models suitable for different types of viewing, DSO, planetary etc. Or is it just a case of better optics.

Can anyone briefly explain the models?

The optics in Tele Vue eyepieces are universally of an excellent standard. As I recall the different models offer different combinations of field of view, focal length and eye relief:

- Plossl: 50 degrees FoV, eye relief around 75% of the focal length. Focal lengths from 8mm to 55mm (2" format for the last one)

- Radian: 60 deg FoV, ER of 20mm, focal lengths from 3mm to 18mm. All but 3mm now out of production.

- Panoptic: 68 deg FoV, ER varies depending of focal length, focal lengths from 15mm to 41mm (2")

- Delos: 72 degree FoV, ER of 20mm, focal lengths from 3.5mm to 17.3mm (currently). New range and possibly the best to date.

- Nagler: 82 deg FoV, ER varies from 10mm to 20mm, focal lengths from 2.5mm to 31mm. 3 Nagler flavours, Type 4, 5 and 6 each having same general characteristics but some variations in eye relief and format (ie: 1.25", hybrid or 2")

- Ethos: 100-110 deg FoV, ER 15mm, focal lengths from 3.7mm to 21mm. Recent model and the most expensive TV range.

- Nagler Zooms: 2mm-4mm and 3mm-6mm. 50 degree FoV, ER of 10mm. 

- TV 8-24mm zoom: FoV varies from 40 to 60 degrees. ER around 16mm (I think). Older model made for TV by Vixen. Not quite in the same league optically as the other TV ranges.

I've probably forgotten some !

They are all pretty good all round use eyepieces, depending on the scope they are used with.

Good roundup thanks John.

Isn't one of the TV selling points that their eyepieces perform particularly well in faster scopes?

Hope that the OP doesn't mind me asking a closely related question(s) of any knowledgeable SGLers reading this thread.

Given that without a sizeable lottery win I (probably not alone here) am unlikely to be shelling out on the Ethos range, what would you recommend for:

1/ M51 or M64 - Favourite bright galaxies

2/ Eskimo Or Dumbell nebula

3/ Globular clusters

4/ Little dim galaxy groups such as in Leo's mane?

Thanks

Paul

Thanks John very helpful. So I'm guessing the 19mm is not really worth getting, as I have the 17.3 delos

The Delos will show you practically as much sky as the 19mm Panoptic and I suspect will have a slight edge on optical performance due to it being a more recent design with the latest coatings etc.

Archived