Televue Mars type A filter

Rustysplit

After being impressed by the thread on the Planetary filter by Televue, I was sorely tempted to get one. After a lot of thought I decided on the Mars type A instead. Why? I figured that it had been designed to specifically enhance Martian views, so reasoned that it would be the best filter for that given purpose. I could also try it on Jupiter and Saturn, and if it worked well on those too, then I would be happy, if not then to be honest, I am getting pretty detailed views of Jupiter as it is, so would not miss this benefit.

Having been following the progress of Mars for the last couple of weeks, I think I have pretty much "got my eye in" when it comes to teasing out the detail. Would a filter help any more though,especially one at that price :eek:  Only one way to find out..........fight.....the wallet!

Last night as it turned out, was probably a perfect night for the test. The views of Mars unfiltered were amazing as many have said, so much detail visible. Still a bit of wobble, but the still pockets showed crisp images.  Early on the, eyepiece orientation, western edge of Sirtis Major was visible on the eastern limb. The areas of Arabia and Eden, with Sinus Sabaeus and Sinus Meridiani above all clearly definied, and the eastern point of Mare Acidalium also showing. The unfiltered view was quite bright with the plain areas showing as a dusty pink, and the albedo features a sort of mottled pale blue. I should add that I was using a 6mm Radian (thanks Stu!) giving 300x.

So on with the filter. As you would expect, the threads are well cut and it fitted the eyepiece very smoothly and easily going all the way on. What difference did it make? The first thing that screamed out at me was the rather obvious and somewhat distracting green halo around the planet :sad: I thought maybe it was collimation error, so checked , but no. Umm. The next obvious effect is the darkening of the dusky pink to a more familiar orange, as often seen on Mars images and maps. The effect on the albedo features is quite strong. It really ups the contrast and defines the edges clearer :smiley: What were previously quite soft boundaries, became so much more apparent, more of the time, this last point is the crucial thing. The north polar cap was far clearer. I kept swapping between filtered/unfiltered to see the gains.

The green halo started off as being quite disappointing and off putting, but to be fair, after a while you notice it less and less. The orange colour is quite strong, but actually OK, as it reminds you of all the maps and images you have seen. Does it really show any more than the unfiltered view? This is where I think it becomes observer dependent, and how long you have been looking at the features. If you had just started a session and put this in straight away, you would say that it is  a "magic bullet". If you had already been observing Mars for a while , then the effect is less striking. As I hinted earlier, this filters main strength is it's ability to readily show the features, more of the time, and to up the definition and contrast. This it does very well. I found that while the features were visible unfiltered, popping the filter on helped to confirm what you were seeing and also led your eye to seek out fainter details that you maybe had missed.

I only got a very brief go at Jupiter with the Mars A. First impressions are that it seems to work well to bring out the darker banding. The orange and browns in the bands show extremely well. Some may not like the overall cast it puts on the planet, but here is the crux with any filter of this type I think, It should be an addition to the views you are already getting, not a replacement.

So, after one session with the type A, am I happy? Yes, definitely. Sure it is a lot of money, but it does actually do what it says it would. As another tool at the eyepiece, I feel it brings sufficient gains to warrant buying. This is not like an OIII filter on The Veil, however.  Any filter will add some things to the image, and detract from other areas. I actually prefer the unfiltered views, but appreciate the detail it shows when in place. The two combine to give you a really fulfilling experience. Yep, happy bunny. Looking forward to grabbing another couple of hours with it tonight.

Excellent review thanks. I have to say that I have placed an order on the planetary filter (might take some time), in part due to the positive accounts and look forward to trying this, at least on Saturn if not on Mars to. I have always found unfiltered views to be good for gleaning detail, when your eye has become accustomed to the brightness, yet agree with your comments concerning this being an additional tool and combining filtered - for contrast / colour balance and unfiltered observing.

I was looking at the TV filters a little while back but I figured at this stage in my hobby I really should be getting used to the "seeing as it is" before I start experimenting. Nice report though, I was able to somewhat imagine from your comments what you were seeing having got my first real view of Mars the other night.

Blimey. You really are keen on getting the detail out of Mars.

I tried a cheapy filter from the classifieds. Liking the results, I had a look at these and decided, too many £££ for probably limited gain.

After reading your review. I'm wavering.

Thanks for a really useful write up.

Paul

Fine report Alan, I am tring to get one, the way things are going it should be here for the next close encounter in two years time.

I had a good long look at Mars a couple of nights back and did see a good deal of detail but unlike you I don't know the names of the features.

Well done,

Alan.

I had a good long look at Mars a couple of nights back and did see a good deal of detail but unlike you I don't know the names of the features.

Well done,

Alan.

Neither did I Alan. I took a map out with me :smiley:

are you gong type A or Planetary?

I am trying to get hold of both though I think of the two Allens report and Arron down in Sydney have made the Planetary filter the one I would like to get the most.

I know its nice at the moment but Mars leaves me a bit cold as the orbit does not do it any favours with us seeing it well most of the time, Jupiter and Saturn are so much more observation friendly.

I know it is difficult to see well but I wonder if the filter works on Mercury as well?

Alan.

Hi Alan, great report, your first impression of Jupiter was almost the same as mine with the Planetary filter, the first thing that jumps out at you is the dark brown of the equatorial bands on Jupiter, which figures as the Planetary is supposed to be a development on the Type A.  Conversely, I did not see an 'overall caste' on the planet, but my impression with the Planetary was it's absolute neutrality in this regard, perhaps the significant difference between the two filters?  It was like the filter was not there, that's how good it was.

After having spent a little time with all three filters (Mars A & B and the Planetary) I completely agree with your report on the Type A filter, Alan. It definitely does throw an orange cast over the overall image. Not anywhere near as much as the Type B filter though, which throws a very deep and dark orange over the planet. The type B filter, I'd have to say, is the least pleasing to use of the bunch. Each of them tend to work particularly well on the red planet though, confirming details you think you're seeing with an unfiltered view as you say.

Personally, I feel the Planetary trumps both the Mars filters though. Does the same thing for bringing out the detail (perhaps even a little more so than the Type A), but has a much more neutral look and feel to the image. Mars definitely looks a deeper shade of salmon with it on, but doesn't have a false look to its colour. Markings on the planet also have a deeper blue'ish look to them but, once again, in a more natural looking fashion. Only a couple of nights ago I was switching from the planetary filter to an unfiltered view, just to see if I could decide which I prefer. I tend to think you hit the nail on the head... Neither of them felt like a replacement for the other. The unfiltered view was showing some staggering detail after settling in at the eyepiece for awhile. I really can't say which view I ultimately preferred, but I do know one thing, which very well may be the answer to the question.... I spent a lot more time with the filter attached than without it.

Combining this with the brilliant view it also provided of Jupiter, I'd say the Planetary filter is definitely the pick of the bunch. The Type A is very good though, but I prefer the Planetary. Can't wait to give it a run on Saturn when it clears the rooftops at a more reasonable hour.

Aaron

I may try and get another go at Jupiter with the type A tonight if I can. Mars last night was utterly stunning, both with and without filter. I think it compliments the unfiltered view really well. It really was like looking straight at a text book image last night with the TA on. Lovely orangey red surface and dark mottled albedo features. I have to wait until the early hours to see Saturn over my fence, but can't wait to give it a try over the weekend.

very interesting read Alan, so far I've not used any filter apart from a UHC, would be interesting to try one day but in the mean time trying to see what I can get out unfiltered on planets as much as I can and train the eye to do as much work as it can. Oh I tell a lie, I used my UHC in Jupiter a few times I just recall :smiley:

The only drawback from the enjoyable read of threads like this, is that they are a reminder this hobby can become a bottomless pit for the finances. :grin:

TBH Alex, if I hadn't have managed to sell my broken French piece of the proverbial car for far more than I was expecting, having also got it's replacement for far less than I was expecting, then I would never have risked the money. The eye is the best filter there is. Spend long enough looking at a seemingly featureless blurry thing, and suddenly the details start to emerge. As i said above, the unfiltered view last night was incredible. The type A is by no means required to get a fantastic session. It is a very nice side dish though.

Archived