sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Mars and Jupiter 20140414

jup-20140414.jpg - mars-20140414.jpg

First time doing planetary in... a very long time. I kinda gave up a year ago when I realised my SCT was out of collimation. Adjusting it with the standard screws wasn't fun, so I replaced them with Bob's Knobs. And there it sat, uncollimated until tonight. Well, it still isn't properly collimated, just a bit less so with a rough 5 minute fiddle.

Anyway, the Mars shot was taken with an old 8" Meade SCT, and the Jupiter was me playing with the Tal 125 RS to see how that compares. Both with a Bresser SA-barlow 3x and DFK21AU618. Preprocessing with PIPP as for some reason files from my Win8 laptop I'm using now aren't readable with AS!2 on my desktop unless I go through some intermediate format, but it had no trouble with the same files generated by my Win7 laptop. Stacking with AS!2.

I really need to get the SCT collimated properly some time... still, I'm quite excited at my first go at Mars.

Edited by GlassWalker

I reckon you could probably try an RGB Align in Registax just to correct the atmospheric dispersion and squeeze a bit more out of those images.

Good efforts though, after a long break.  I find it a struggle getting back into it after only a few weeks off.

James

• Like 1

Dispersion! Why didn't I think of that. I assumed I did a "could do better" job of the collimation, or perhaps the optical chain wasn't as straight as it could be. Mars was low down, but Jupiter was higher up and still affected though.

I've not tried that function in Registax before, so will have a play with that later.

The easiest approach is to open the dialogue box for that function, draw the box out to cover the entire target and hit "estimate".  It's rarely too far out that way and if it isn't quite perfect it gives you a good place from which to start tweaking.

James

Collimation on a refractor could give funky colours, couldn't it? I did wonder if I was *that* good I could make a mirror system do it too! Well, it does have the corrector plate...

Had a very quick play, seems to work, but I can't remember which was the "best" output of various attempted I had last night so use it on...

You have some good detail coming through on those images. Certainly an RGB align  as suggested by James & Pete should be beneficial.

Best regards,

Ralph

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By MarsG76
      This image is a compilation of my captured images of Mars during this years (2020) opposition season of Mars. All of the images were taken using a 8" SCT at 6764mm focal length (f33.3) with an Celestron Skyris 618C CCD. All of the images were taken with the same telescope at the same focal length so shows the size of the martian disc as it was closer, at opposition and further from Earth.
    • By Daniel Valencia
      Hi Guys!
      My name is Daniel and I am from Ecuador, I love astronomy and the secrets our universe holds. I love Jupiter, our big brother, so I opened this forum to talk about facts, secrets, theories, etc. About our gas giant!
    • By SpaceDave
      Hello all. I’ve tried a few times in the last month to image Mars but have had very little success. Although a decent size, Mars is very blurry and wobbly. I am fairly new to the hobby, but I would say it appears to be poor seeing conditions. 
      I am using a Celestron 6SE and Canon 600D. I have tried 2x and 3x Barlow. I focus using a bahtinov mask (on stars). I used movie crop mode on various ISOs and exposures, stacking at least 3000 frames (keeping the best 1%, 2%, 5%, etc).
      Is Mars too far away now? Or am I underestimating how rarely you get a night of good seeing? How do you find out when the best seeing will be?
    • By Goldenmole
      Hello everyone! I hope you are all doing well! I recently joined this forum for the express purpose of answering this question: Why does Mars look like a simple star through my telescope? I have a Starsense Explorer LT 80AZ refractor with a 10mm, 25mm and 2x Barlow lens, and my telescope has a max magnification of 189x! So why is it, on a pretty clear winters night, that the mighty Mars, the Red Planet , looks like a humble star. I love stars (who the hell doesn't) but i rather hoped to see a planet. What am i doing wrong? AM i doing something wrong or is my telescope inadequate (i doubt it though). I use the 10mm plus the Barlow, and still nothing. Is this just how Mars looks through a telescope like mine? Or maybe i'm not looking at Mars at all. Although, according to my research, the Red Planet currently resides in the constellation of Aries. Correct? Please. please answer my question as it is driving me up the wall. Plus, if anyone has the time, could someone recommend a good astronomy app, other than the starsense one, that you can just point at the sky? Thank you so much for reading this. Have a lovely day.
    • By MarsG76
      Hello All,
      This is a photo accurate representation of how I've seen the conjunction through a Skywatch 14" f4.6 Dobsonian, using the 17mm Ethos eyepiece combined with the 2X Powermate during the observation of the great conjunction of Jupiter and Saturn, and how well both of the planets fit into the eyepiece field of view.
      My location on the east coast of Australia was totally overcast for the last week and this evening I had a small window of opportunity to actually have a glimpse of the rare event, which no doubt, I will not have a another chance of experiencing in my life time.
      This happened about 17 hours after the actual closest point between the planets, and most likely the difference would be so small that it wouldn't be noticeable without direct comparison. 
      This image was composited by first taking a series of shots through the eyepiece using an iPhone, I chose the best frame of the series than superimposed the overexposed planets with images of the planets captured separately with enough transparency as to accurately show how the planet details looked in the eyepiece.
      Observation time was 22 December 2020 @ 09:51 UTC.
      Clear Skies,
      MG

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.