Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher or Explore Scientific Dob?

Thinking of joining the Dobson Brigade.

This is because half the time from my location I can't 3-star align my Skywatcher Mak as I can't see the guide stars in different parts of the sky.

Also because of what my fiancee said the other night to me "It's a clear night just a shame the scope takes so long to set up"

This has has me looking at scopes to plonk outside the door and push around the sky. Budget for scope is £300 plus I'll buy a laser collimator as an extra.

So should I buy the Skywatcher 200 Dob or the same size Explore Scientific one?

Bearing in mind the price difference is only a few pounds.

Know what you mean. The Dobs are great for quick set up. I like ES gear. The ES Dobs are sexy and I think I'd go for them. They are new so a little untested but I'd be tempted by them if I was going for a new Dob.

Ps go for the biggest you can get. It's a bit like buying a house, stretch yourself a little, you'll thank yourself later!!!

Good luck with your choice. The good thing is, you can't go wrong either way so don't get paralysed by analysis and enjoy your buy!!

Wish I was buying a new scope but truth be told I should hang up my boots in the astro buying gear game as I have all I 'need'.

Doesn't stop me thinking I'll buy an ES 9mm 100* when I next get some money that's burning a hole in my pocket

Archived