Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

MND

Canon 600D lenses

Hi all. I've taken the plunge and bought a 600D off ebay cheap to mess about with. I quite fancy buying a lens or two to play around with as well.

Are lenses like Chinon and Tamron any good, they are a lot cheaper than Canon ones.

I've been looking on ebay at prime 200mm lenses but they seem to go for high prices even 2nd hand. I know that zoom arent in same league as prime lenses but they go really cheap. Worth a punt to experiment with or a real non-starter?

The canon f/1.8 50mm is a great and cheap lens to get hold of with a performance that belies its cheap price - 2nd hand they can be picked up for around £50. Often referred to a the 'nifty fifty'

• Like 1

Theres allways the old M42 SLR lenses with a suitable adapter some come very close to the modern equivalents and dare i say some have never been bettered.

Alan

M42 fit lenses are great for Astro work just remember that you will have to adjust the focus and aperture manually.

I have a Samyang 500mm Mirror lens and a 29mm F2 both cost less than £30 so a total bargain and work perfectly on my 70D.

Dave,

The mirror lenses come up often at really low prices, I've resisted the urge because I thought they weren't suitable for astro work?

I had a samyang 800mm F8 mirror lens and the 500mm F8 and the 500mm one was far superior it was ok on lunar but a real pain to get accurate focus.

Alan

Just bought a 135mm F2.8 hanimex for a tenner inc postage!

Might be a dog but for a tenner I think it's worth a play with?

I bought a Paragon 500mm prime focus on E Bay and the optics are perfect. The only issue is focus - it can be a bit hit and miss at night but just take plenty of shots whilst varying the focus.

Peter

You want to try vintage M42 screw fitting Takumar lenses as originally sold with Pentax cameras. Excellent for astro, very solidly built and cheap on ebay. I've got the 28mm f3.5, 55mm f1.8 and 200mm f4. I think the 200mm is the best you'll get this side of a Canon 200mm L series at a fraction of the price. As others have said, you need a M42 to EOS adaptor.

Pete

• Like 1

Just bought a 135mm F2.8 hanimex for a tenner inc postage!

Might be a dog but for a tenner I think it's worth a play with?

The good thing about a cheap lens is you can get to play with it and if you find one thats good for astro but has scratches/fungus you can allways look out for a more pristine example.

Alan

Im having to keep off ebay, so many cheap lenses I'll end up with a houseful.

I had never used Ebay until a week or so ago and my neighbour is alteady sick of taking parcels in!

I love my 55mm f2 1963 lens the only down side it is is a lot heavier than the kit lens but thankfully it is smaller/shorter in length.

• Like 1