Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Atik Titan VS DSLR

Superdavo

Hello everyone!

I have recently been looking into deep-sky imaging, and related equipment. My telescope is a SW200p, and I already have an unmodded Canon EOS 1100D, but I've been thinking about moving into the world of CCD deep-sky imaging. My budget is approx. £500, and at that budget, the best I could get in terms of deep-sky CCDs is the Atik Titan (Mono). However, I was wondering whether I would get any major improvements over my DSLR, and whether it'd be the best use for my money. 

Here is what I know...

Pros:

• Mono camera has capability of being used for luminance, and can use a variety of filters, as is not limited by RGB colours.I already have a filter wheel, so that is not a problem.
  • Cooled CCD means less noise
  • Looks like it's a good option for fainter planets, with high sensitivity, and the potential for moderately high framerates
  • More sensitive than most DSLRs

Cons: 

• Much smaller number of pixels (and FOV width) than a DSLR - would need a very large mosaic for an object like M42
  • Expensive!!

Also, I couldn't help but compare it to the next models up, which happen to be twice the price (the 420L seems to be the next one up - £800!!). Would it be dramatically better to save up until next Christmas to buy something so expensive?!

Any advice would be really welcomed!

David

Why not start by modding your Canon 1100D and try that first?

Like you already said. The FOV of the Atik Titan is extremely small. The sensor ain´t that great either to be honest.

I personally think the Titan is just a waste of money. But that´s just me.

The main purpose of the Atik Titan was Atik´s entrance into offering a planetary CCD camera. DSO secondary due to the extremely small chip and FOV.

So, compared to the Atik Titan... you will get much better results by sending in your Canon 1100D for astro modification. It will cost less than half your planned budget.

Then you can start imaging with your modded 1100D and start saving up in meantime for a decent CCD camera.

BUT! If you are really set in getting into Mono CCD imaging. You could check out second hand for an Atik 314L+ camera. They come up for sale regularly and you should be able to snatch one up for around 600-650 pounds or so. It´s an incredibly good camera for the price with a much much better sensor and 3 times the FOV of the Atik Titan.

Still. You should know it´s just the camera. You still need to invest in a filterwheel and filters. Easily adding another 300-500 pounds in costs (depending if you go for a manual or motorized filterwheel).

But sure... you could start with just imaging in Mono (Luminance) and start saving up and buy one filter at a time. Like a nice 7nm Baader Ha filter to try out narrowband.

Advantage of the Atik 314L+ is that the sensor is small, so you buy 1,25" filters, which are not so expensive.

Archived