Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Any tricks for getting optimal focus?

Probably a silly question, but I'm actually finding it annoyingly hard to focus my telescope.  To do so, I have to touch the telescope, and that makes the view shake so I can't see whether a particular turn is improving things or making it worse.  How does everyone else manage it?

Probably a silly question, but I'm actually finding it annoyingly hard to focus my telescope.  To do so, I have to touch the telescope, and that makes the view shake so I can't see whether a particular turn is improving things or making it worse.  How does everyone else manage it?

Perhaps it is more to do with the mount, lack of weight perhaps? I have the exact same problem and just have to live with it till my next upgrade.

Is frustrating though!

Hi Sly,

All i need is a roll of paper and a needle and my mount/scope would make the perfect seismometer :)

A bhatinov mask will help, that way you can get focussed on a star near your target and then not touch the focus knob again. Its quite painless and easy to recheck focus as the evening goes on. Also if you are observing planets, you want to know that your focus is spot on, otherwise you will just be chasing the seeing, and with a wobbly scope/ mount combo this is frustrating. 

Jupiters moons trick mentioned by Andy works a treat too. I guess they would be too dim for a bhatinov unless you have a monster scope. Used the bhatinov on mars with success though.

Though i've yet to buy one, an autofocuser will allow hands free focusing therefore eliminating the worst wobbles. Its been on my shopping list for a while.

Other than that, smaller ota / sturdier mount or a pier.  

All the best

Mark

I actually find that the correct focus point for stars is slightly different to solar system objects. I focus on the outside of focus (i.e. further out than I need to be) and then gradually move in, then settle and check, move in then settle and check. once you get to 'best focus' then wait for the good moments of seeing. you are unlikely to get a solid steady image at high magnification (100x or more) and will usually have to wait for steady moments of seeing which will come without further need to touch the focuser again - resist the temptation to do so.

seeing conditions, collimation and cooling level are also important elements to high power observing.

Archived