SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Integrated Flux Nebula...

mftoet

I've only just seen this followng a quick trip to the UK and back. Gosh! The IFN in a DSLR. Is this a 'first?' It really is lovely, Maurice, and you have been kind enough not to attack me for the poor weather you had for this shoot. I'll confess straight away that Maurice did not have good weather for his trip down here so this is even more impressive. (Needless to say it cleared up as soon as the moon came back!)

Remarkable stuff. Very impressive on all counts.

Olly

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic image - very well done.  It's the first time I've seen the IFN in a DSLR image.  You've produced an excellent result.

I firmly believe one should choose the DSLR ISO to minimise read noise - especially when imaging under good dark skies.  However, because this limits dynamic range I sometimes need to take additional (bracketed) shots at a lower ISO to prevent saturation - it depends on the image content.

The extra pair of diffraction spikes (6 instead of 4) at the bottom of the image is almost certainly caused by the mirror cutting the light cone to that area of the sensor.

Mark

Thanks Olly and Mark. You can find other DSLR images of this IFN area on the web, though the wide fields (with 200 mm lenses) lack contrast and detail in the nebulae. I actually should expand this image into a mosaic, showing the complete "Vulcano Nebula" now seen partially in the lower left corner.

Archived