Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elusive M51

Perhaps due to suburban light pollution, I again have lots of trouble finding Whirlpool with my 200p ( as I did last season) I've tried 20 and 15 mm e.p's scanning everywhere near its easternmost star. Any tips, maybe L.P filters? Cheers!

Not easy with light pollution, but definately easier with the Moon out of the way. Just slowly drop down from the end star ( Alkaid) in UMa. Don't be expecting a coloured Hubble view.

Try x40 to scan the area with well dark adapted eyes. You should be able to pick up the smaller NGC 5195. Easier targets in the area are M94, M63 and M106,

Nick.

As Nick says, not so easy from a LP site. You've seen M78 it's gonna be no easier than that.

Filters won't help I'm afraid. Transporting your scope somewhere dark will though. M51 can go from fuzzy glow to spiral galaxy if your skies are dark enough.

As above, with light pollution you'll struggle. With my old 200p & 25mm Maxvision I could make it out quite easily in my back garden (no LP) very faint spiral with slight detail which became more apparent with averted vision.

Steve

On a good night ( I live in suburban area too with a fair wad of light pollution and a mix of sodium and led lights surrounding me) though my garden being reasonably shielded in the right spot allows me to dark adapt well, this is important.  I can pick it out with my 5 inch Dob when the plough is high enough most of the time but skies need to be good on the night.  Light pollution filter will help if you have lots of sodium light, though I've never used one to say how useful they are. Keep trying, one day it will come to you, wear a hood or something, hide in the dark if you have light issues to keep out light as much as possible if needed :smiley:

If it's finding it rather than seeing it that's the problem then try this link.

It has a list of some of the commonest DSOs and links to star-hopping guides. M51 is a little way down.

M51 is a tricky one as the others have already said. Usually I don't seem much in the way of structure. I once on a very transparent night convinced myself that I could see some spiral structure, but I think it may have been wishful thinking!  :grin:

Thanks everyone, these tips really help!. How evident should it appear in relative terms to M31 which I can find fairly easy in summer months under decent skies? Obviously I can head to the hills soon, once all the snow has melted for better views, still it would be great to see a glimpse right now! It's important I guess to keep searching instead of being frustrated. Thanks

If you have binoculars identify the star pattern that it sits in first. When you know you have the right spot find the star pattern in your finder and use a wide angle ep to find it. That's the way that has always worked best for me. I always familiarise myself with where it should be in the bins first and it helps me find it with the scope.

Perhaps due to suburban light pollution, I again have lots of trouble finding Whirlpool with my 200p ( as I did last season) I've tried 20 and 15 mm e.p's scanning everywhere near its easternmost star. Any tips, maybe L.P filters? Cheers!

What you said is exactly the same for me, I really thought at one point I was just not in the right place.  I have tried endlessly with 254mm aperture to find it and it eludes me every time.   My light polluted area just don't allow me in that deep when after a fuzzy like that.  

All those failed attempts at least allow you for the perfect hop to it next time you are under dark unpolluted skies. 

Retain to yourself that:  Being eluded by a target is far from a wasted star hop.

I makes me feel better about things anyway.

I live in an very badly light polluted area. The air conditions make all the difference. Moisture in the air, high levels  of air pollution etc can kill DSO's completely. I've managed to see DSO's with a 6" scope when the conditions have been superb (apart from the light pollution), but not seen them in my 10" when conditions haven't been great.  M51 is one of those DSO's that should be easy but can be lost in less than perfect conditions.

Thanks everyone, these tips really help!. How evident should it appear in relative terms to M31 which I can find fairly easy in summer months under decent skies? Obviously I can head to the hills soon, once all the snow has melted for better views, still it would be great to see a glimpse right now! It's important I guess to keep searching instead of being frustrated. Thanks

M31, at least the bright core, is a more forgiving object in terms of being able to be observed under moderate light pollution circumstances. However to fully appreciate the expanse and magnificence, of course requires a dark sky. 

Thanks again to all, with your tips I know I'll find it! Locating " smudges" is always tricky in the suburbs but gratifying when they're found, I guess that's the thrill of the hunt makes us keep going? I can't help but be be amazed by finding a galaxy similar in size to our own and see it as so small....

It's true about knowing the group of stars that your DSO sits in and to have a proper black sky. I have seen M51 on a very dark night in my 200mm SCT on the south coast of UK and it blew me away, however I have not been able to see it since as I have not been in a dark enough location.  I did catch a fleeting glimpse of M51 through 10X50 binoculars in Norway last September on a cruise in one of the Fjords. Had to use averted vision to detect a hint of fuzziness.  It was great to know that I was looking in the right place! The sky was so black, there was absolutely no distinction between the horizon and sky. The blackest night I have ever seen anywhere! 

Archived