Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

mars tonight

Ags

Mars was exceptional tonight. It was one of those rare nights where the view was as good as an astrophoto: dark surface markings were sharply delineated, the polar cap was clear to see and some orographic clouds were also visible.

Also, I had an enthusiastic guest to share the view with!

It's great isn't it when it all comes together?

I was showing some neighbours and their kids Jupiter & the Moon and warned them not to get too excited about Mars but sure enough, even with the attention span & patience of gnats(!) the kids managed to pick out the North Polar Cap, Syrtis Major and Mare Acidalium without much effort.

With the ISS at 9pm and an Iridium Flare (my favourite magic trick :)) at 10pm, they were all well into it.

I love it when people ask to see what you're looking at! I just want to share what i'm seeing with the world when i'm looking at the double cluster, any of the planets and all in between. I tried Mars the other night but wasn't as lucky as you sound. I managed to vaguely discern Syrtis Major (i think that's what it was) but no ice cap or clouds here. I will keep trying as long as the Orange-Red beaut is in the sky.

Wow, sounds like you hit the Mars jackpot. I have to say following years of crushing disappointment with Mars, last week I had my best view ever of the red planet. Not as crystal clear as yours, but for the first time I made out a clear disc, decent size, obvious dark markings and the white of a polar cap.

Was a brilliant moment to finally nail it. Got to love an opposition. Now bring on Saturn's next month! :)

I also think an hour of swotting up on the net beforehand makes a big difference so you can tell people the name and something about the feature they're looking at rather than just pointing out the black smudge! ;)

Morning guys.  Had a first crack of the season at Mars too, last nite.  Weather complied with the BBC weather App for once.  Used my refractor and my Binoviewers and was pleasantly surprised.  After a few minutes of concentratiing and monents of good seeing, I  was able to pick out some nice dark marking detail and a polar cap.

Made my evening,  even after a good look at Schroters valley and big old Jupe !!    

Happy now to give Mars a bit more time in my observing windows as rather a disappointment before last nite.

Regards   John

Archived