Screw help

So I'm getting ready for going out in my back garden tonight and in my excitement I've screwed the head off the topmost brake screw of my Celestron CG-5 (I would think the EQ5 is identical). Now, it's nice and tight so it's better than before but with no head I'm thinking I'm going to be in for a world of hurt later. Has anyone had to drill one of these out before? I'm looking for advice and any useful information any of you guys might have. Thanks in advance.

be very careful with screw / stud extractors. If one those snaps in the hole the only hope you have of getting that bad boy out is by spark erosion :shocked: A drill bit will just melt at the thought of even touching it, they hard things.

I think you may have to center punch the  end of the screw and drill out with cobalt drills, and possibly go slightly oversize and re-tap it.

Ian

I've used extractors on engine parts a lot of times. It helps to use a fairly small bit to drill in the center, then a larger bit, then a larger bit.

The idea is to get a large hole in the shaft without getting too close to the threads. (do not touch the threads.)   :)

Why you want the hole large is: a fat extractor is able to take a LOT of torque before snapping.   :)

Archived