SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Canon EOS remote control

Elm0

I've just purchased the remote for a Canon 100d. Its the infra red one.

I notice however, when using the remote, a bright red light on the front of the camera turns on.

I assume this is some sort of red eye reduction light, or just a pre warning that the remote has triggered the camera, which will take a photo shortly. 

Will this effect the results of the pictures for DSO and can it be turned off. Doesnt really discuss the remote in the manual, apart from that you can set it.

Lot more functions on that one but will it still trigger that light being remote controlled.

You don't say if you are using your Canon mounted to a telescope but, if you are, I recommend Backyard EOS software - the computer then controls the camera and no red light shows.

Peter

Yes and no. Not tried backyard or heard much about it. Will take a peek.

Lot more functions on that one but will it still trigger that light being remote controlled.

Yes and no. Not tried backyard or heard much about it. Will take a peek.

It plugs into the Camera, and works via timers, so doesn't use light, APT is Camera control software much the same as Backyard ESO, i have used APT and found it to be easy and does what it meant to via a USB cable from the Camera to a PC/Laptop

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

It plugs into the Camera, and works via timers, so doesn't use light, APT is Camera control software much the same as Backyard ESO, i have used APT and found it to be easy and does what it meant to via a USB cable from the Camera to a PC/Laptop

http://www.ideiki.com/astro/Default.aspx

I think I may have confused the situation. Its not the infrared remotes IR that I am concerned about, but rather a bright red light on the camera body.

The light is very bright and stays on for 2 seconds before the picture is taken. For some reason, the remote setting has a 2 second delay before the picture is taken.

isn't this the autofocus assist light? I agree that menu setting will help, possibly in custom functions.

I'm sure I had the same problem with 'DSLR Shutter' and sorted it out in the camera menu.

isn't this the autofocus assist light? I agree that menu setting will help, possibly in custom functions.

I'm sure I had the same problem with 'DSLR Shutter' and sorted it out in the camera menu.

The autofocus is off when the lens has been removed. I've look through the menu. Cannot find anything.

I've gone with some blutac for now!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I notice however, when using the remote, a bright red light on the front of the camera turns on.

I assume this is some sort of red eye reduction light, or just a pre warning that the remote has triggered the camera, which will take a photo shortly. 

Will this effect the results of the pictures for DSO and can it be turned off. Doesnt really discuss the remote in the manual, apart from that you can set it.

The simple answer is no this will not affect the images unless you have a light leak between the camera and scope.

My 70D has a red light which flashes on the back when the data card is written to and I have no intention of blanking it off.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

Sounds like you have the self-timer set. A glance at the manual will confirm..

Louise

• 2 weeks later...

I have the IR remote for the 70D. You have to set the camera to 2 or 10 second timer for the IR remote to be active.

I don't think you can use the IR remote without setting it to timer, and I also don't think you can switch the timer 'warning' light off.

You can buy a plug in shutter release switch for about £15 and lock it which in effect is the same as you standing there holding the button on the camera.

If the camera is attached to a telescope, then i can't see the light will pose much of a problem as it will be a long way from the light gathering end of the telescope.

But i've put tape on my remote (giga t pro ii) as it has a green light which at night is quite bright and more worried about it destroying my night vision that my images.

No idea if there is a switch off option, but do a test run of it on and uncovered, and it on and taped over and see if there is any difference.

Jd

Archived