Narrowband

Mars April 9, good seeing

moxican

On the eve of opposition it was solid cloud covered, but got lucky the very next night, which I think I still should consider myself lucky for, taking into consideration the jet stream here this time of the year. I have grabbed an 8 min AVI planning to derotate with winjupos, only later I found out that winjupos doesn't derotate video streams of Mars, who knew. I anyway loaded into AS2, stacked the best 7000 frames out of about 38700. I was pretty surprised at what was looking at me at the end. If I am not mistaken, that is Olympus Mons in about the center of the disc. There are also other features visible along with it that I cannot name :(

In any way I am pretty happy, this is pretty much the first significant astronomical event that did not slip from me :)

The animation contains this frame and another two I have taken the same night a few minutes apart.

post-18319-0-72926600-1397192580.jpg

post-18319-0-32423400-1397192597.gif

post-18319-0-72926600-1397192580.jpg

post-18319-0-32423400-1397192597.gif

An excellent image Moxican. Olympus Mons beautifully caught. Calsky is indeed an excellent site - I have used it frequently to decipher my present & past efforts!! Well done!

Best regards,

Ralph

Archived