SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

S@N Head Up

Astro Imp

S@N used to be aired on the first sunday of each month for over 50 years....when was this changed

In Feb when the 'new' program started, after it missing the Jan episode. They also added a new presenter ‎Dr Maggie Aderin-Pocock.  :smiley:

Just a quick reminder  :smiley:

Tonight's episode - Mysterious Mars

Mars captures the imagination like no other planet and currently our nearest neighbour is at its brightest for several years, so it's a perfect opportunity to explore a planet that is tantalisingly similar to our own. And in the past it may have been even more like Earth, an inviting and habitable place, a perfect environment for life to flourish.

Geologist Iain Stewart investigates how we can read the story of Mars's extraordinary past from its rocks, Maggie Aderin-Pocock comes face to face with the latest Mars rover and Chris Lintott meets the man behind the discovery which the whole history of the universe now rests upon.

I think the new format SAN is great and not just because they used my Mars image!  As for MAP's 'quirky' presenting style; I quite like it and will take it any day over Jon Culshaw.

Cheers,

Chris

I think the only thing I am not keen on is the program spoiler, after the opening credits, although it's not just the S@N  program that does this :rolleyes: the program does now have a different feel,  more impersonal ? Interesting piece on early gravity waves at the end  :smiley:

MAP still needs to improve her presentation skills a lot.

Still struggling to understand why shes been added. I think Pete and Chris would have been a good pairing.

Not seen this episode yet. It's waiting for me on iPlayer.

I kind of agree about Maggie but I'm prepared to cut her lots of slack because she's as mad as a box of frogs! I actually think if SPM was just making his first appearances on the show in the manner for which he was famous in his prime, there'd be a lot a lot of people wondering what had just happened :)

I also get the impression she would be great fun in person too. Maybe not the best reasons to put her in front of the camera where she does seem a bit edgy but I'm sure her personality will win eventually.

Caught the BBC4 repeat at 0330 this mornings (yep, insomniac TV...)  While overall an interesting show, I find the presentation style irritating; nothing against any of the individuals in themselves but just the magazine-TV approach of having two main presenters to speak alternate lines off the autocue - why is this needed?

Caught the BBC4 repeat at 0330 this mornings (yep, insomniac TV...)  While overall an interesting show, I find the presentation style irritating; nothing against any of the individuals in themselves but just the magazine-TV approach of having two main presenters to speak alternate lines off the autocue - why is this needed?

It is because the producers often work on several shows and just paint a generic style across them all.... as well as the tendency to copy what everyone else is doing because it is 'on trend' at the moment.

I think the only thing I am not keen on is the program spoiler, after the opening credits, although it's not just the S@N  program that does this :rolleyes: the program does now have a different feel,  more impersonal ? Interesting piece on early gravity waves at the end  :smiley:

This I too dislike with a passion. The good folks over in TV Land seem to think that as a population we have evolved into a species with the attention span of a goldfish. Not only do we get the 'spoilers' but on those godforsaken channels with 'ad breaks' we get the 'coming up after the break' reminders (to remind us of all the good stuff coming up in case we choose to switch over instead of putting the kettle on) and then once back we get the reminders of all the stuff we've already missed.

Most of the watching in the Stellar household is now done with the benefit of it having been recorded on to the sky box so we can avoid such mind numbing televisual treats.

Archived