Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

Qualia

Mars & Observing the Red Planet

I'm really looking forward to the larger Mars this coming opposition.  My big goal will be to obtain a definite view of Nix Olympus.

Just discovered this excellent resource, thanks!  Intriguing the remarks about doing sketching.  I do sketches of landscapes here on earth and it is very true that it helps you to see more, but I hadn't extended that thinking to astronomy. Anyway, I am a beginning astrophotographer. I attach an image of my work in progress for this year, tracking the approach of Mars to opposition.  I have tried to get the images to scale. (Done with 8SE and Neximage 5 plus 2X Barlow;  except for 19 Mar with ZWO120MM plus 2X Barlow). Hope I get clear nights in early June!

Mars approach.jpg

• Like 3

On 4/2/2016 at 07:34, Lacaille said:

Just discovered this excellent resource, thanks!  Intriguing the remarks about doing sketching.  I do sketches of landscapes here on earth and it is very true that it helps you to see more, but I hadn't extended that thinking to astronomy. Anyway, I am a beginning astrophotographer. I attach an image of my work in progress for this year, tracking the approach of Mars to opposition.  I have tried to get the images to scale. (Done with 8SE and Neximage 5 plus 2X Barlow;  except for 19 Mar with ZWO120MM plus 2X Barlow). Hope I get clear nights in early June!

Great images! You guys down under have the best of mars at the moment, It's barely crawling above the horizon here. 

I'm a big fan of sketching too! I think it really helps you to learn to "look" critically and discern detail that isn't always obvious at first glance. This was drawn last night through a 7" refractor. some atmospheric dispersion due to low elevation but most notably, mars looks upside down compared from what I'm used to from living in Australia. 

colour sketch drawing of mars.jpg

colour sketch drawing of mars.jpg

Edited by timwetherell
duplicate image
  • Like 3

Wow !!! :shocked:

Put a quality 4" scope in the hands of a skilled observer and look what happens !!! :icon_biggrin:

• Like 3

Ecellent guide and read... I'm looking forward to next years Mars Opposition... I think it'll be the biggest we're likely to see in our lifetimes.

Speaking on Mars, has the dust storm disappeared? Three days ago I couldn't see almost nothing on the surface of the planet. ☹️

37 minutes ago, JPAG said:

Speaking on Mars, has the dust storm disappeared? Three days ago I couldn't see almost nothing on the surface of the planet. ☹️

Nope - the disk is still rather featureless. Occasionally you might pick out vague suggestions of dark or light areas but the storm is still having a significant impact.

• Like 1