SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Mars & Observing the Red Planet

Qualia

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Just discovered this excellent resource, thanks!  Intriguing the remarks about doing sketching.  I do sketches of landscapes here on earth and it is very true that it helps you to see more, but I hadn't extended that thinking to astronomy. Anyway, I am a beginning astrophotographer. I attach an image of my work in progress for this year, tracking the approach of Mars to opposition.  I have tried to get the images to scale. (Done with 8SE and Neximage 5 plus 2X Barlow;  except for 19 Mar with ZWO120MM plus 2X Barlow). Hope I get clear nights in early June!

Mars approach.jpg

• Like 5

• 7 months later...
On 4/2/2016 at 07:34, Lacaille said:

Just discovered this excellent resource, thanks!  Intriguing the remarks about doing sketching.  I do sketches of landscapes here on earth and it is very true that it helps you to see more, but I hadn't extended that thinking to astronomy. Anyway, I am a beginning astrophotographer. I attach an image of my work in progress for this year, tracking the approach of Mars to opposition.  I have tried to get the images to scale. (Done with 8SE and Neximage 5 plus 2X Barlow;  except for 19 Mar with ZWO120MM plus 2X Barlow). Hope I get clear nights in early June!

Great images! You guys down under have the best of mars at the moment, It's barely crawling above the horizon here. 

I'm a big fan of sketching too! I think it really helps you to learn to "look" critically and discern detail that isn't always obvious at first glance. This was drawn last night through a 7" refractor. some atmospheric dispersion due to low elevation but most notably, mars looks upside down compared from what I'm used to from living in Australia. 

colour sketch drawing of mars.jpg

colour sketch drawing of mars.jpg

Edited by timwetherell
duplicate image
  • Like 7

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...
37 minutes ago, JPAG said:

Speaking on Mars, has the dust storm disappeared? Three days ago I couldn't see almost nothing on the surface of the planet. ☹️

Nope - the disk is still rather featureless. Occasionally you might pick out vague suggestions of dark or light areas but the storm is still having a significant impact.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I see this is an old thread, but I've noticed Mars is growing more visible lately. In the poor single images I have attempted over the last two mornings I believe the polar cap is visible.

Has a anyone else been able to get a look at it?

11 minutes ago, maw lod qan said:

I see this is an old thread, but I've noticed Mars is growing more visible lately. In the poor single images I have attempted over the last two mornings I believe the polar cap is visible.

Has a anyone else been able to get a look at it?

Have a look at the BAA Mars Section Director's blog (latest update June 1).

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, jonathan said:

Does anyone know when the best period will be to observe Mars?  October, yes, but are there any factors I should be aware of?  I saw it a couple of weeks ago looking pretty good, hoping to get an even better look!

Now is good. It gets about .75 of an arc second larger at opposition in mid October but that won't be noticeable.

• Like 2