Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Davey-T

ASCOM Talk any members here

Hi anybody belong to the ASCOM Talk Yahoo group ?

I've been trying to post but although it say "message has been sent" it never appears, could someone whose a member please try and see if they can  post something.

I can post to other Yahoo groups OK.

Thanks Dave

I am but I have failed miserably in understanding how Yahoo groups work. It is the worst Rubbish I have ever seen in terms of web based discussions... Why is everybody using it???

/per

• Like 1

I am but I have failed miserably in understanding how Yahoo groups work. It is the worst Rubbish I have ever seen in terms of web based discussions... Why is everybody using it???

/per

Thank goodness for that comment per-  I thought it was just me that couldn't get on with yahoo forums.

/per

It has always been rubbish, but now it is even worse. People use it, I assume because it is free. And it's worth every penny.

James

All that happened was that none of the ASCOM-Talk moderators were around for about 36 hours.

We've tried several alternatives to Yahoo over the years and none of them worked.  The most hopeful was StackExchange but they pulled the rug out from under us.

Chris

Thanks All, yes all my posts from the last two days have now appeared.

Lots of useful groups but the "new look site" is rubbish, and the email is annoying, can't find how to get to old messages anymore without nightmare scrolling down.

Dave

Why doesn't the group move it to a straight forum kind of platform. There must be something better than Yahoo. I can't even find my own posts, and if I do find some info I cannot get hold of the thread...

Chris, if you know of a specific platform that is free and would fulfill the needs, I can host it. One more virtual server among the 25 I have is not going to make any difference.

/per

Thanks for your offer Per.

Sequence Generator has just moved to a new platform - Discourse I think - and seem to be hosting it themselves.  That seems to be showing promise and we may consider moving to that.

I'm not sure what Yahoo are playing at. From their perspective their system is a means of delivering adverts to our desktops and it only has to be good enough to do that but as it is it's driving people away.  Maybe they want to close it.  Rather like the UK railways in the 1960s.

Chris

Atik (Artemis) forum moved somewhere but strangely I've hardly looked at it since.

Dave