Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Takahashi Mewlon 210

Stephen

Wow a reply! :D

I think there are a few loose in America and they've been seen with something called an eyepiece in them?

Image circle is not impressive I have to concede - 18mm native, 39mm reduced.

I'm starting to think by the complete lack of information on the web this must be a very barmy idea :lol:

I've read of a few people trying out the Mewlon 210 & 250 for imaging with various degrees of success/failure.

Collimation at F3(?) would seem to be the main stumbling block

I think you mean the Epsilon. (F2.8) The Mewlon is a very slow Dall Kirkham based design which, with reducer, only comes down to F9.1.

I might be more drawn to the OO ODK series myself.

Olly

I think you mean the Epsilon. (F2.8) The Mewlon is a very slow Dall Kirkham based design which, with reducer, only comes down to F9.1.

I might be more drawn to the OO ODK series myself.

Olly

Olly you're correct I did mean the Epsilon  :grin:

Thanks for the thoughts :)

I seem to have been talked into buying the 10" GSO CF RC ... then again I did not need much persuading :)

The ODK's are very nice, but push my budget too far :(

I might just have the pennies left over to get the AP CCDT67 that RobH recommended to me which gives me options of

2000mm @ f8

1300mm @ f5.3

added to my BabyQ's range

675mm @ f8

450mm @ f5.3

328mm @ f3.86

I have a Mewlon 210 - great visually but not a flat field like RCTs- so I use an RCT for imaging-your better off with your 10 inch RCT for galaxies -Tony

Thanks Tony :)

It's arrived and it's lovely :D Though the Moonlite is still somewhere in customs :( Hoping for it to clear tomorrow so I can get all set up for the weekend :)

13878940455_77e7ed9503.jpg

Pretty darned good. To be picky the star shapes aren't perfect but they could be a hell of a lot worse. This looks as if it is gong to sing for you. I'd be very happy at this stage.

Olly

Nope I agree the stars are off, but I suspect that's simply down to a 5 minute collimation (first attempt at an RC) in the field  :)

(It sadly arrived well out of collimation with loose primary adjusters but did not have time to look at it at home.)

Tak collimator is on order when the next shipment comes in and I will spend some time refining it :)

• 4 months later...

Olly you're correct I did mean the Epsilon  :grin:

Late to the party, but the Epsilon (I use one) is a dedicated astrograph, so surely the only people using them with any degree of failure are those trying to use them visually.  Despite the f/2.8 (and the infamous E-180 focuser) I've never had a problem with mine.  In fact, I once ran mine for an entire season (Autumn) having only focussed it once.  Obviously, I kept checking focus, and the weather was pretty consistent, but...I didn't need to change it.  In fact, I recently dismantled the scope to give the mirrors a bath, and when I reassembled it, not only did I not need to collimate it, but I didn't need to focus it.  Considering the focal ratio, I find this unbelievable, but maybe it's testament to Taks being well made.

As to the Mewlon, I read this with interest as I am currently looking for a scope to side-by-side with my E-180, for pretty much the same application as Stephen.  Based on this thread, it looks like I'm going to be Ritchey shopping soon...

Afters watching sara and the 9.25 i think the RC is going to be the better choice and have one here myself only an 8 inch though, I have a big pixel SBig for it, as soon as my Dome and AP is installed ill try it out.

Afters watching sara and the 9.25 i think the RC is going to be the better choice and have one here myself only an 8 inch though, I have a big pixel SBig for it, as soon as my Dome and AP is installed ill try it out.

Wait wait...that truss RC is only 8"?  Wow.  Looks bigger.

EDIT:  I know RCs are imaging devices, but how are they on the occasions you might want to bung on an eyepiece and mooch around the moon?

Wait wait...that truss RC is only 8"?  Wow.  Looks bigger.

EDIT:  I know RCs are imaging devices, but how are they on the occasions you might want to bung on an eyepiece and mooch around the moon?

not sure, afaik its there weakpoint, i need an al az mount for trying that out i think.

Archived