Recently Browsing 0 members
No registered users viewing this page.
Hi, I have taken mono LRGB images of M51 with my new ASI1600mm-PRO.
I have a mix of 30s, 60s, 120s subs. 100 darks, and 100 flats for each filter. About 4 hours total.
I Used DSS for alignment and stacking, then Pixinsight for LRGB combination.
My issue is that i'm not happy with the colours, the stars all appear white and the background is strange.
I have attached the Aligned LRGB images.
Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks!
Green.TIF red.TIF Lum.TIF B.TIF
Hope everyone's keeping safe in these uncertain times.
Hard to believe it's been just over a year since i last posted something using new data. Where did that year go?! As luck would have it, a few weeks back, i collected all my astro gear from the old family home, where i do used to do all my imaging and moved it down to our place, where the skies are worse, and the sky views are much more obstructed. I wanted to have another go at using the C8 for imaging a galaxy, and luckily there was a clear night last week, so once the kids were asleep i set about trying my luck on the Whale Galaxy, as i knew it would definitely clear the tall trees at the back of the house.
After spending far too long faffing about with an OAG and an old IDS-UI camera (which i now know isn't up to the job) i finally gave up on the OAG idea, but rather than just pack up, i decided to throw the finder-guider on there anyway and just see how things went. Time was against me, i only had a 2 hour window left, so could only dither every 3 frames. But at least the guiding held up well (under the circumstances) with the HEQ5-Pro. It went down as low as 0.67" at one point, never went over 1", and seemed to average at around 0.85", which was way better than i was expecting.
I don't have an actual SCT FR, so to continue the bonkers theme i actually used my SW x0.85 one lol. Solving a frame in Astrometry gives an actual FL of 2,320mm (total insanity, i know) or F11.4 😂.
I'm also just glad to have now finally got to use the Qhy163c that i bought off another SGL user in Spring of last year. So it only took me a year to get an image out of it!
So this is:
40 x 180s (Gain 80, Offset 35), -15C
Stacked in APP, and processed in PS. SGP was reporting HFR's from about 5.1-5.8. I've no idea if that's ok or terrible at this FL. I was just surprised that all 40 subs were keepers tbh, with none having trailed stars.
It's a noisy beast i know, so apologies. And that's even with a generous dollop of NR and downsampling to 35% of the original size. It needs a tonne more exposure. Something i could have addressed the following night, which was also clear, but alas, i was way too tired to even consider it. But it was fun just to be out imaging again, even if it was just for this. I might even try it again, if the weather plays along that is!
This is from a couple of nights ago.
It clouded in quickly, so I didn't get much data. The temp was 2C, and I'm self-isolating - so that was also a factor! I only took 5 darks before I gave up and went to bed. I'll take more when the temp is right.
This is 140 min integration time on a new Canon EOS Ra with 17x500s exposures, and no filter (from the city).
Processed in PI and Photoshop - I should have used more star masks but the data aren't good enough to warrant the effort I think. I also had difficulty with flats - I tried a range of exposures with a Gerd Neumann panel, but I think they were all too short. Will go longer than 0.3s next time - very hard to figure out flat exposure on DSLRs, and APT's tool doesn't work for DSLRs yet.
I think I'm obsessed with M51 - and I know I'll be back to it again.
Stay safe everyone,
First attempt at any DSO other than the brighter stuff like M42 or Andromeda.
Learning to use the AZ-Gti /Sharpcap polar align / windows synscan app / APT platesolving ... And guiding ! all in one night ?
all went well so had a quick 30 mins on M51 (first time I'd ever managed to actually frame it ... Plate solving is amazing)
90 second subs gain 420 and 5 darks and synthetic flat for dust bunnies / gradients
Wish I'd have gone longer now as tried a 5 minute sub once guiding was working which looked good .
Very noisy but only 30 mins .
I decided to try to maximize detail by collecting a large quantity of Luminescence data and then applying strong deconvolution to the areas of high signal to noise. I also decided to try out Mure denoise, a Pixinsight routine that reduces camera noise. The final result is an LRGB and represents just over 17 hours integration time.
I hadn't noticed before the rather strangely shaped fuzzies in the backgroud - have a look at the annotated version for IC4278 and the triangular shaped galaxy PC2292105.