Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_celestial_motion.thumb.jpg.a9e9349c45f96ed7928eb32f1baf76ed.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
steppenwolf

IC443 - Jelly Fish Nebula

Can't believe what a difficult object to image this nebula is! 2 Hours and 40 minutes should surely have released more detail than this? Hey ho, I tried .......

ic443_060208_l.jpg

I'd say that was pretty damn good for an OSC camera, as it is indeed a faint one.

That's the one I wanted to try tonight, but its the wife's birthday, and we went out for a meal. Didn't get back until after 22.00, which was a bit too late, for a really long session on the 'jelly'.

So, I'm out here playing around with shorter exposure targets.

Can't waste a clear sky :D

Dave

Well I am not able to judge it from a technical viewpoint Steve, but

what I see is a fine looking image with good colour, and loads of stars

that indicate some very good guiding. Dave and Rog. both agree it's a good un, and they are qualified.

It also looks like a Jelly Fish. :D

Ron. :D

I'd say that was pretty damn good for an OSC camera, as it is indeed a faint one.

That's the one I wanted to try tonight, but its the wife's birthday, and we went out for a meal. Didn't get back until after 22.00, which was a bit too late, for a really long session on the 'jelly'.

So, I'm out here playing around with shorter exposure targets.

Can't waste a clear sky :D

Dave

Unfortunately i did waste a clear sky,hard day at work and just too tired.

Seeing images like this makes sitting on my butt worthwhile,excellent Steve. :thumbright:

Nice image , Steve. You have captured a lot of detail.

Having trouble with this one myself. The result from last night was worse than my previous attempt.

Will have another go , next time with the Atik and narrow band filters , if the cloud clears.

John

John,

This is a really tricky object because there is so little to 'hang your hat on'. I really was disappointed with the lack of detail for such a relatively long overall exposure! If I could have taken more subs (this was 16) then I could have hoped for a smoother image but as ever the clouds rolled in and spoilt the session. Shorter exposures would have meant more subs in the same time period and more smoothness but at the expense of depth! We must be mad!!!! :D

My wife already thinks I am mad to have a hobby ( obsession ?) which requires clear UK skies.

John

Good job Steve.

As said, a difficult subject from the look of it (never tried it myself). Great job technically, your guiding is spot on. :D

Yes, we are mad, but it's a good sort of mad, not like vegetating to Big Brother sort of mad!

Cheers

Rob

Lovely wispy detail Steve. I've never had a go at this but think your camera has performed pretty well (as well as your efforts of course!)