Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

observing from indoors...

I have been lurking for quite a while...  After decades of wonder, I have decided to take the plunge into Astronomy..  My house (Pacific Northwest) is situated such that I have great access to the east and south and have large windows in the second story which can open completely.  This would allow viewing from them easily.. probably even tracking.  My question is will this prove unsuitable since the temp of my OTA could not cool appropriately to allow good viewing?  Viewing would be planetary initially but eventually DSO as experience is gained...  I have other options for set up in my yard, but am seeking clarification on this consideration...

thanks

The general opinion is viewing from inside is a no no, you get thermal currents from the house if window is open, if window is closed its more glass to get in the way, much better to set up in the yard

Not generally regarded as a good idea, especially for planetary where stable seeing is needed. Heat rising from the walls of your house will create a curtain of turbulent air and make observing nigh on impossible.

As Nightfisher has said while I was typing, observe from the yard.

Wrap up warm and get yourself outside , you will be very disappointed with the view from indoors.

The atmosphere will be doing it's best to ruin things for you without the addition of warm air rushing out of the window ...  :smiley:

I very occasionally point my ST80 out the bedroom window at the moon for amusement but even this is a headache. The thermal currents make the image boil like nothing else. It's a real shame because Mars is perfectly placed at 11pm to view from the flat when it's too late on a school night for traipsing down to the park. Having said that, tonight I will traipse to the park for a little session...

DD

Try to set up the scope on grass. You'll be amazed how much this will steady your seeing compared to concrete.

I'm sure that's right but you would also be poddling around in mud as the ground is so wet at the moment with the possibility of slips. I find concrete ok as long as it has not heated up during the day with the Sun on it - Sun - what's that?

Peter

Try to set up the scope on grass. You'll be amazed how much this will steady your seeing compared to concrete.

I'm sure that's right but you would also be poddling around in mud as the ground is so wet at the moment with the possibility of slips. I find concrete ok as long as it has not heated up during the day with the Sun on it - Sun - what's that?

Peter

Would not have thought this...  but sinking the legs into turf does make sense

Peter

My patio does heat up...  in the summer.. for about 2 weeks..

I built my kids a tower fort some years ago...  and am considering re-appropriating it.. and retrofitting it as an observatory...  tho I am running into some resistance.. 

P9130759.JPG

clear views south and west.. but treed north

^^ no edit feature.. that'll be a problem..

Edit appears magically after you've enough post under your belt; don't worry, you're not the first to think that.

I think the idea about grass was that it heats up less than concrete.

And south is the view you want :)

Edit appears magically after you've enough post under your belt; don't worry, you're not the first to think that.

I think the idea about grass was that it heats up less than concrete.

And south is the view you want :)

Correct, you get far less air turbulence.  Obviously if your lawn/field is like a swamp it may not be the best idea until it dries out a little or a lot in some cases!

Archived