Orion optics up20

I was browsing thru an old copy of astronomy now and came across thispost-27162-0-05721900-1396968531_thumb.jI didn't,t realise they made Dobsonsians with 20 inch mirrors.Has anyone used one and why are they not available anymore

Jonnpost-27162-0-05721900-1396968531_thumb.jpost-27162-0-05721900-1396968531_thumb.j

Was drooling over the vx20 (along with a lot of other stuff) on the oouk site yesterday. Better star playing the lottery, or sell a kidney!!! Nice to dream though.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Looks like they don't do a price of OTA only? I think I'd rather put this on a Mesu 200 than a Paramount. An ASA DDM 85 might be another option.

Might be quite a good galaxy killer.

Very nice scope - I wonder how much it adds up price wise?

A mere £5395 on dob mount, add £210 for 1/8pv optics or £565 for 1/10pv upgrade.

Bargain, I'll have 2!!! (I wish)

A mere £5395 on dob mount, add £210 for 1/8pv optics or £565 for 1/10pv upgrade.

Bargain, I'll have 2!!! (I wish)

Ouch!! While it's a fantastic scope I'd rather stick with my kit right now - Unfortunately nobody in my family is rich enough in inherit :D

Should've read that properly. Am guessing emad you were talking about estwing's scope. Doh!!!

hahaha I was just thinking I didn't even spend half that amount!!

As great as it would be no doubt, All I can say is the tag line for such a scope should be

Sorry about the wallet, your marriage and your house, but enjoy the views. 

Thing is I wonder if 20 inches is big enough to cook in and sleep as well, I doubt it. If I am going to ruin my life it may as well be a 50 inch so I can camp in it,  accept I will be rejected by my family, and up living somewhere in the middle of nowhere, hunt wild boar, be self sufficient,  live in the Dob, look through it at night. Might be fun for a few months :grin:

I am sure that these large Dods are very good and their owners are very happy. When I started for some strange reason I wanted an SC type of scope and I went and bought one, this was before I was a member here and no one could talk me out of it. I spent about 4500 quid and then found I had to spend another 1000 improving it to where I thought it should have been in the first place, balance system, 2 inch fittings etc etc.

I often look back and think I could have got a nice quality large dob for the same outlay and many times wish I had.

Alan.

Archived