Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon books?

Has anyone published a book about the moon and the different areas to observe on the moon itself? Anyone wish to suggest a  book to read that will expand a moon watchers knowledge of what they are looking at? 

Cheers

Never seen a "good" book for the moon for the reason to me that it seems to be a 2 stage learning curve.

You have to know you way around the moon reasonably in order to get to the detailed area you want.

Will say I do not know my way even reasonably around the moon and that stops me looking for a small feature.

If there were something on the edge of say Werner it is very easy to find yourself looking at Aliacensis in error and so get nothing. And those 2 craters are a reasonable size, smaller ones are just worse - zoom into a close view of the moon and it is easy to lose yourself.

Best option is to search through Amazon, and/or a good bookshop.

If you have a Knidle one of the Amazon moon books is a free download, may also be worthwhile searching for free e-books for something. Would at least mean you could have a look for no cost and something may appear.

As you are in Dover the IAS at Leamington Spa will be too long a trip and no guarantee of any good lunar books being there either.

Also what level are you looking for?

There are some lovely atlases; some have a brief narrative to accompany some pictures, but none that i've seen could be considered a reading book.

Patrick Moore's book on the moon talks about the perceived (of the time of writing) origins of the moon, and the history of observation and exploration. A fascinating and gorgeously eccentric book, but not much on describing the features to look out for in a systematic manner.

As said above, check out amazon; loads of books can be obtained there for 1p second hand (and £2.80 p&p).

If you find a good narrative one, report back.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, in response to this thread i ordered his 2007 2nd edition of observing the moon, a cheap second hand edition. It's not arrived yet so i can't comment on it.

Jd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This book just arrived in the post this morning and it is nice; easy to follow and structured around a lunar cycle and suggests what to look at for each night, with drawings and photos. The second hand copy which I've now got looks like it has never been used.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0521535557/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

JD

Thanks JD, I've been looking for a book that is structured around the lunar cycle (kind of the next level of detail from the Moon section in Turn Left At Orion) so that looks ideal.

Just ordered it!

• 2 weeks later...

This little book is nice too; much smaller and less detailed than the one above, but again focuses around the lunar cycle:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0007154313/ref=redir_mdp_mobile

Talks about the features to look for on certain days, and describes them and plenty of sketches and photographs. The latter third of the book is dated (2003-2007 data) but the first two thirds are great.

Various copies available for 1p second hand so very little to lose.

Jd

Archived