please be upstanding

Another hopeful tap into the SGL pool of knowledge:

Is there such a thing as a finderscope or pointer system which means I don't have to get my eye behind it and along the scope tube?

I have trouble with my neck and trying to point using the supplied finderscope or my red dot finder - especially if the target is overhead or even high in the sky - gives me, well, a pain in the neck! The vertebrae creak and crack ominously ...

Ideally the solution would be something that projects the view ahead onto a small screen which I can view while I'm reasonably upright or, perhaps, a finderscope with a 90-degree eyepiece.

Any pointers (no pun), advice or thoughts?

Hi Gordon.   One solution is a green laser pointer attached to your scope - http://www.firstlightoptics.com/finders/celestron-green-laser-finderscope.html  there may be cheaper options out there.

These can be a bit controversial because they have been used to attempt to distract planes etc, and would also be frowned on at most star parties.

Regards, Ed.

Thanks, Mace. That looks as if it might fit the bill. It isn't inexpensive but if saves my neck, it'll be worth it.

Will give FLO a call since it's marked as unavailable at present.

Must admit that I thought you were taking the mickey when I saw your user photo of a pair of specs! Shame on me!

Thanks again.

I had the same problem with the stock finder-scope; ended up replacing it with a Baader Skysurfer mk3 Red Dot Finder which has a big aperture and zero magnification - definitely an improvement, and very intuitive, but still challenging when viewing straight up. The Skywatcher 90° RACI (right angle correct image)  is definitely on my wish list.  Some posters have commented that it has a quite narrow field of view. That's better than putting your back out I reckon. 

I've seen a Celestron 5 SE that was equipped with an inexpensive green pen laser pointer in a small (.22cal?) dovetailed scope mount that was used as a starpointer.  At night the beam is visible and can also be used as a pointer for an audience attending your sky show.

Thanks everyone for coming back to me on this.

I still think that Mace/Myopicus has given me the best lead and I will follow that up.

The green laser idea is a bit on the edge in more ways than one ... One must try to maintain standards - even if it sometimes hurts a bit!

Further to the above, and again from Mace (gawd bless ya sir), the Skywatcher RACI might be the bees' knees.

Will have to check with the in-house banker on that one, though ...

Archived