sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Celestron NexStar 8 SE

Hello again my helpful Stargazers,

Today I went out during the day. We have a half/quarter moon that is pretty clear from my deck. I did not use the GoTo function. The telescope was alligned manually pointing to the quarter/half moon that is showing in the clear sky. The telescope showed nothing but whiteness. The only difference between night and day was the whiteness was brighter. My AC adapter arrived today (along with some other accessories). I was able to stay outside longer. I followed the moon as it moved west but nothing. I won't be going out tomorrow but I will spend all my time working with the scope this weekend. I called Celestron on the day the scope arrived but they werern't much help. I will try them again on Friday. It looks to me like I will be returning this scope next week unless I can find one object in the sky with the scope. For the record, I did shop around for 3 months or so before I bought the scope while studying star maps to get familiar with the sky. Binoculars seem to be my best bet. If I can't find objects with binoculars then I know I was not meant for this hobby.

I'd say here at stargazers we never give up on helping....it may have been said but you need to use the eyepiece with the highest number you have...eg 25 and not 9 say. this allows for a much easier focus.....we will get you there....perhaps post a picture of your scope so we can see all is connected properly....

• Like 1

I would take it out at day time, put on the 25mm eye-piece, manually point it at a tree ~0.5 to 1 mile away and turn the focus knob until you can see individual leaves.  If you can't manage this, there is probably something wrong with the scope.  If you can manage this, point it at a telegraph pole ~0.5 to 1 mile away, get the top of it bang in the middle of your 25mm (or higher) eye piece and use this to get your red dot finder aligned.  When you have done this, find another object (birds nest are good things) with the red dot finder and see if this is now in your field of view with the scope.  Until you have done this alignment, do not take it out at night time.  Assuming you get this done okay, go out at night find the moon with your red dot finder and the moon should be in your eye piece (make sure it is the 25mm you are using).  As your scope will be set up to focus on something 1 mile away, you will need to turn it loads and loads of times to get it to focus on the moon, but eventually it will get there, proving the scope is not bust.  I hope that you have some better luck than you have had to date, nothing more disappointing than a purchase which does not work as hoped / expected.

NB.  I have an 8SE and I love it, keep trying :)

• Like 2

Hello Fellow Stargazers,

It's Friday afternoon in Minnesota. It is mostly sunny. Some clouds in the sky. The telescope in on my deck right now. I am attempting to follow's Davedownsouth's instructions. I change the eyepiece from a 25mm to a 32mm. The telecope is not focusing on any objects. The only thing positive that I notice is the color changes if I point towards the grass that is down below the deck then you see the color of the grass. If I attempt to find an object like a tree or any other thing in the distance all I see is the same light gray/white color. When I point the telescope up in the sky all I see is blue. I am going to call celestron now to see if they can help in anyway. I really don't want to have to send this scope back to the vendor.

Hello again everyone,

Victory!!! Finally found a few trees with my telescope it was great to see. We have to take our small victories where we can find them. I want to thank all of you that helped but especially Davedownsouth. Still have to allign the finders scope with the telescope. That will be the next project. Unfortunately there is rain in the forecast for the next several days. Again I will do

this during the day. Once I am positive that this is done, the wife and I will begin searching the stars at night. I'll keep you helpful folk posted. Have fun gazing at the stars!!!

• Like 4

Congratulations....I'd say you have started astronomy with a powerful unit rather than stepping up to 'the big time' . please be aware there will still be lots of skills to master and some frustrations ahead. focusing with a telescope is a real art as the tolerances can be small . keep pracicing on some distant trees , focusing in and out through the branches. note you willl need a different turn of focus to see the heavens....I suggest you start with the moon...not quite as easy as it sounds !!!

• Like 1

That's brilliant news! Glad the daylight trick worked, certainly did for me. The 8se is a great telescope and will show you and your wife plenty.

Now you just need to try to align it, again patience is your friend, I still find it hard to get it 100%.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I am on the deck with the telescope right now. It's been raining the last week or so. This is the first clear day and night since the last time I was out. I did align it during the day using my

largest eye piece. I played around with it aligning the telescope manually. Tonight I turned on the GoTo function. It says that the telescope is alligned but when I look through the eye

piece all I see is the sky as though I was not using a telescope. It looks like the same image that I see when I look into the sky without the telescope. Going to keep working on it and

we'll se how it goes.

The allignment seems to be setup properly because the telescope is pointing the right directions. Nevertheless when I look through the telescope all I see are what seems to be stars in the

distance. Again a similar view that you would see just by gazing at the stars without a telescope. It doesn't find any planets even though it stops turning like it has found the planet. I attempted to just browse around the sky without the GoTo function. This seems to be the more interesting way to do things. You get to see a bunch of small stars that you can not see with the naked eye but not much more than that. I am not going to send the telelscope back because I know that I am the problem. I'll just keep plugging away.

the scope needs to be aligned every night. no point aligning it during the day. alignment is not getting the finderscope and the eyepiece to view the same object. it is orientating the scope each night according to your location and international date zone and local time on a 24 hour clock. if the scope cannot align to a planet it is not set up properly.  there are some very good videos on youtube including one for the celestron 6 SE by an american chap....he is a good teacher...

Actually the allignment had to be off because at 2:30 AM guess what came up over the eastern horizon. Yes it was the moon. We had a half moon this early morning. Since the telescope was already alligned I did a search on the moon. The telescope was close but I could not see the moon through the eyepiece. I turned the GoTo function off. The surface of moon was full of craters as we all know.  It was nice to see. I quickly switched the eyepiece to a smaller one because I read somewhere that you could get more detail this way. It turned out to be the case. I don't know how to use the color filters yet so I held back from attempting to do that. The scope works well. The GoTo function is going to take time to master because getting the proper allignment is tough. The Goto function states that the allignement was accepted but obviously it is not alligned properly. Well this is all the excitement that I will have for awhile with the telescope. There is rain in the forecast for the next few nights then I am off to cancun. Hopefully my father-in-law will not be tempted to play with the scope while he is housesitting. Till next time my fellow stargazers.

Hello Nebula. I've been watching those videos. Some are helpful. Everytime we switch our telescopes off it has to be realligned when we turn it back on unless we do not want to use the Goto function. I was playing around with the allignment during the day just to get used to dealing with the telescope. Aiming at things like lightpoles, license plates & trees. It'll be awhile before I'll get to see planets, stars and nebulae. I know that I have to be patient. A better finderscope may be a good investment in the near future.

My goto can be erratic. Some nights it is spot on, whereas on others it strays and I have absolutely no idea why despite varying my setup selection and ensuring input data is accurate.

Learn how to re-align; eg Setup using two-star align, then when you goto to an object and it seems out pick another nearby star and use the ALIGN button to replace one of initial setup stars. On a long session you may opt to do this a few times. With practice, it is quick and easy to do.

• Like 1

Totally agree with Steve, some nights it is more of a go-near than go-to.

Firstly make sue all of the information you have input is as accurate as possible, I.e the exact time and if possible coordinates. Also make sure the telescope is as level as possible.

Then I find manual two star align work best, and also pick two stars a distance apart from each other.

However as mentioned above , sometime nights even the most careful alignment won't work 100%

Great that you seeing some star at least

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Again Fellow Stargazers,

My frustration continues. Since I am not able to use the telescope because of cloudy skies here in Minnesota, I decided to practice taking the telescope kit apart and putting it back together. Well when the telescope kit was put back together and the GoTo unit is turned on, I now receive the message, “Bootloader invalid package 0080”. Celestron customer support will have to send me an adapter to unlock the handset. The wire included with the kit at the time of purchase has a port connection that can not be connected to a PC. Celestron knows this but does not include this adapter in the original purchase. I'll have to wait for this adapter to show up before I attempt to unlock the handset.

The main reason I bought this telescope was that it was listed under beginner telescopes and it had the most growth potential of all the beginner telescopes that I was researching. Celestron revamped their website. In doing so they moved this telescope from the beginner lever to the intermediate level. Thanks a bunch Celestron.

align the finderscope during the day to a far off object. to be sure it is accurate.

I guess for you the first step is to get a star in focus.

getting the mount level helps a lot with alignment, also I always use auto two star. it hasn't really failed me.

get stellarium so you can know the names of some stars before you try to align. I like to use Polaris as the first and then a star far away like spica or something. or spica and then vega.

go with auto two star alignment. but you have to know the names of your stars.

I think the setup once you get used to it is pretty easy. Although does worry me that I have heard a few users needing to reflash their hand controller.

Must say after trying their starsense, I'm getting a bit worried they have let their quality slip.

Hope it unlocks fine, and just be safe in the knowledge that when you do eventually get it to work the views are great

• Like 1

Received the adaptor today from Celestron. Nevertheless just to add to my frustration I receive the error message "a java exception has occurred" when attempting to open "executable jar file" for the program "cfm_1.7". This is the program used to unlock the handset. I will have to call Celestron support again tomorrow. Hopefully there won't be another week of wait for another part that is needed. This telescope is turning out to be a "big bust".

Well things are looking up again. I didn't have to call Celestron after all. My PC was not extracting the CFM file when I thought it had been done. It took a long time to figure it out. I was able to look at the moon this morning. Today if I have time i will attempt to allign the finderscope with the telescope. Things should be looking now. My apologies for all the previous negative comments.