Narrowband

How do I clean the Red Dot?

The Red Dot came with the Skywatcher Maksutov 90mm telescope. When I looked it seemed dirt (with a slight white tone of dirt) in a way that only using a liquid could fix it.

Unfortunately when I take pictures they never show how it looks like. I am thinking of buying this sort of thing, will it help?

http://i.imgur.com/XBBNDTk.png

http://i.imgur.com/uck7ERU.png

Any advice on how should I proceed to clean this Red Dot?

Red Dot: http://i.imgur.com/tcYcoBn.jpg

Thanks!

Sorry, what mirrors?

He must mean that you can use ordinary cleaning methods for the red dot finder, but do NOT clean telescope mirrors the same way.

It's so easy to damage the relatively delicate mirror coatings unless great care and proper mirror cleaning methods are adhered to.

Regards, Ed.

He must mean that you can use ordinary cleaning methods for the red dot finder, but do NOT clean telescope mirrors the same way.

It's so easy to damage the relatively delicate mirror coatings unless great care and proper mirror cleaning methods are adhered to.

Regards, Ed.

Oh, I knew that. I was instructed to use some kind of makeup brush to gently remove the dust from telescope mirrors, not to clean with any liquid.

As for the Red Dot, the dirt located inside it can only be removed with liquid (at least I hope).

I should be very careful, the RDF is basically a red LED in a housing, the light from which is shone through a pinhole focusing onto a transparent mirror surface. By what you are saying, are you perhaps referring to the mirror that has gained some white cloudy appearance ? If your scope is relatively new and under warrantee, I would not attempt to clean it, but return it, as the mirrored surface will be very delicate and you may not be able to remove the discolouration anyway :)

I am surprised that the red dot finder needs cleaning at all. Can you not see the red dot then? Is the battery ok?

Peter

I haven't tested yet. This is the kind of stain that can be formed in lenses and is only removed when you use a liquid/cleaning cloth. From the looks of it, it doesn't seem to be the kind of stain that would stick even if you try to clean it.

I mean, it doesn't look like this, it's a lot more subtle.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/185569-muliti-colored-stain-lens.html

But it's there. However I came here first to ask if trying to clean this way (cleaning stuff for cameras) would present any risk of damaging the Red Dot finder.

I'm pretty certain the surface is pretty tough - it's designed to reflect the light, so it won;t be coated. just be gentle and put the cleaning fluid on the cloth not the lens -

Windowlene clear  or blue  will do - don't use the abrasive one !!!!

• 2 weeks later...

3PbjxVs.jpg

In case you want to clean the surface of a Maksutov telescope, do you recommend using a soft tissue and isopropyl alcohol?

Mine is very recent but I am already noticing that kind of stain that is not very obvious at first sight. It can only be removed with a liquid, whatever it is.

It's not dust, it's the kind of stain that I also removed from the Red Dot, however in the Red Dot case I used the camera cleaning stuff which the store I contacted said it was OK, but they did not recommend using in the telescope mirror.

Archived