sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_3.thumb.jpg.30e9b298c34c80517e8b443ce153fce3.jpg

Glad to be a member on stargazers lounge :)

Hi my name is Martin and I recently decided it was time I stopped thinking about getting a telescope and got one. So onto google I went to find information and came across stargazers lounge and have to say what a wonderful community it is and i'm really happy to have registered and become a part of it myself. I am currently considering buying a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian as this is the most my budget will allow right now, is there any recommendations for additional lenses for a newbie like myself and is the 200P a good beginner choice of scope?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Heya Martin and welcome. I`m a new member myself and I just bought my second scope, my dream was a cpc 925, but I somehow ended up with a bargain second hand Orion XT8i, bought three days ago, which I

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. The 200P is the U.K's best selling scope and for good reason as it offers great value for money as most of the budget has gone towards providing a great deal of ape

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL - All searches seem to point to the forum!! Sounds like you are planning on a great visual scope as far as I understand. Although what I know about visual can be written o

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL - All searches seem to point to the forum!! Sounds like you are planning on a great visual scope as far as I understand. Although what I know about visual can be written on the head of a very small pin :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

• Like 1

Hi Martin and welcome to the forum. The 200P is the U.K's best selling scope and for good reason as it offers great value for money as most of the budget has gone towards providing a great deal of aperture. I wouldn't worry about replacing the eyepieces at the moment as the ones supplied are good enough to get you started (compared to the jam jars they used to supply) but if you are interested in spending some money on 'extras' I would certainly recommend one of these red dot finders or alternatively this one which is more aesthetically pleasing and looks less like the Telrad's answer of a coffin for a hamster!  :grin:  :grin:

Clear skies and hope you enjoy your stay here.

James

• Like 2

Hi Martin and welcome to SGL - All searches seem to point to the forum!! Sounds like you are planning on a great visual scope as far as I understand. Although what I know about visual can be written on the head of a very small pin :grin:

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

Fantastic images on your flickr really enjoyed looking at those.

and JamesM thanks for the recommendations i will look into those and very accurately described as a hamster coffin haha

Hi, Martin, and a warm welcome to SGL from a fellow Lancastrian (East Lancs, in my case). As has already been said, that is a very capable scope for visual astronomy and is one of the most popular scopes on here - meaning there will be plenty of help and advice regarding use and updates. One other thing I would advise getting (if you haven't done already) is the free planetarium software 'Stellarium' which many use to both find objects in the night sky plan a viewing session. Dowloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin

Edited by HIP3802
  • Like 1

Hi, Martin, and a warm welcome to SGL from a fellow Lancastrian (East Lancs, in my case). As has already been said, that is a very capable scope for visual astronomy and is one of the most popular scopes on here - meaning there will be plenty of help and advice regarding use and updates. One other thing I would advise getting (if you haven't done already) is the free planetarium software 'Stellarium' which many use to both find objects in the night sky plan a viewing session. Dowloadable here: http://stellarium.org/

Hope that helps,

Martin

Already downloaded that app after seeing it being recommended on here and it is a brilliant and interesting app which should make finding things much easier

Welcome to SGL Martin. 200P is a great scope for observing, at some point you may wish to replace the viewfinder as this can be awkward to use, some people choose to replace this with a telrad or red-dot finder - personally I found that a simple 90 degree finder does the job, but that is personal preference. At some point you may also want to consider upgrading the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces supplied, but you will find the supplied ones are perfectly adequate for viewing many objects, providing conditions / collimation are all ok.

Good luck and best wishes

Phil

• Like 1

Hi Martin and welcome,

There will be loads of great advice on here. I put a Telrad on my first scope and never regretted it. I would recommend the book 'Turn Left at Orion', tells you precisely how to find objects in the night sky.

• Like 1

Welcome Martin. As you can see, many of us here have the 200p so there is plenty of advice and expertise to draw on. Don't be afraid to ask anything, however basic it may seem. Everyone here has had to start somewhere!

Good luck, and clear skies

Jason

• Like 1

Heya Martin and welcome.

I`m a new member myself and I just bought my second scope, my dream was a cpc 925, but I somehow ended up with a

bargain second hand Orion XT8i, bought three days ago, which I believe is quite similar to the 200p.

I really like both of my scopes (orion tested only twice so far).

I got a 9x50 finder, but I will definitely buy a Telrad or Rigel QF for the Orion XT8i, but I also like the RDF on my heritage 130p....

Eyepieces : I`m pretty sure you`ll end up wanting more than 120x the 10mm gives you, especially if you get hooked on observing the moon and planets, but theres no hurry.

Anyways good luck with your choice of telescope, from what I read you cant do wrong with the 200p, and if I can get used to nudging the scope and the upside down image, anyone else will too.

Rune

• Like 2

welcome to SGL from Pete in Bedfordshire :smiley: The 200p would have been a scope of my childhood dreams, now it is consider an enrty level scope how times change! yes its an excellent choice you will love it.

• Like 1

Hi Martin welcome to the lounge

good choice of scope, you won't go far wrong with a 200p,

but get used to it for a while, then you will know what you

need to upgrade.

Good Luck and Clear Sky's

• Like 1

After reading some more posts on here im wondering if I should get the 200P or save a little more and go for the 250P as I am interested in seeing DSO's and read it is better, my question is how much more could I reasonably expect to see by getting the more expensive 250P than the 200P.