Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_beauty_night_skies.thumb.jpg.2711ade15e31d01524e7dc52d15c4217.jpg

mftoet

DLSR & fast optics: Orion's Belt

According to me, one of the most beautiful vistas of the northern hemisphere.

Captured with an Epsilon-180ED (f/2.8) and a Canon EOS 5D Mark II (BCF filter).

Two pane mosaic, "just" 95 minutes in total (5 min. subs, ISO 1600) @ Les Granges, Étoile-Saint-Cyrice, France.

orionsbelt_140325_1000.jpg

Technical details can be found on my website.

• Like 34

An outstanding image, it's quite a combination a 5D markII and a f/2.8 Tak!

I absolutelly love the blue small nebulas that seem to be taken out of someone's pillow :)

Congratulations!

I've heard that Tak can be a fickle beast but if you can learn to control it its an amazing scope. This image looks like you've tamed the beast! Thats a beasutiful image and never would have guessed it was with a DSLR. Nicely done!

Hi Maurice, I knew this was going to be good and it most definitely is! Very original composition too. Looking forward to your other results!

Regards,

Pieter

It is great result this splendid image. Congratulations also about the process. But to be at Olly home, it is very interresting because the sky is black without pollution. So it is great help for that.

Franck

Edited by FranckiM06

Another stunning image!  There's so much to see in that picture - especially the full size one on your website.

Two panes with a full frame sensor covers a very useful area - a very tempting proposition.

I love the other Tak/DSLR images on your site.

If you use your camera exclusively for astro-imaging you might want to consider removing the mirror which interrupts the light cone from such a fast scope, causing vignetting and the extra diffraction spike on stars at the bottom of the image frame. 

Mark

That is a truly outstanding image Maurice - it is hard to believe there is so much going on in such a small area of the sky! First class!

Absolutely inspiring image, wow!

Thank you for all your comments. I would like to add more data to go even deeper, but that has to wait till next year (or an urly morning summer project...).

@sharkmelley: I also use the camera for daylight photography (using a custom white balance), so I would rather like to keep the mirror. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Incredible image, has got to be one of the stand outs from the many amazing captures posted in this section.
Inspiring.
Thanks Lee

Fantastic image...

Nice to see what the 5D II on Class optics, under Olly's skies and in the hands of a class imager can do :headbang:

Just wondered how you managed to sneak a DSLR into Les Granges :tongue:  :grin:

Peter...

• Like 2

Yes, it was difficult for Olly to have a DSLR at Les Granges. Name me a 21.1 MP full frame mono CCD for les than € 2,5K and I will buy it immediately!

• Like 2

Yes, it was difficult for Olly to have a DSLR at Les Granges. Name me a 21.1 MP full frame mono CCD for les than € 2,5K and I will buy it immediately!

I think that the honours in order of appearance go to  1: The target   2: The person behind the camera  3: The Tak Epsilon  and last the camera. I firmly believe that any modded camera with a large enough sensor would have done well under the circumstances. Congratulations on producing a wonderful image, just superb.

Regards,

A.G