Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Kielder Autumn Event

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Beamish, spring this year was my first starcamp and what amazing skies............ :hello1: , we can live in hope eh?

I met a few of the guys from SGL and had a look through some pretty amazing scopes, we ate and drank well, all in all a great weekend. Cant wait now

Gary

Is this suitable for a complete beginner?

I've got myself a Celestron Omni XLT 150. Managed to get it out last night for the first time.

Should I bring it with me? I'd be bringing my tent.

What happens at these Star Parties? Do i also bring beer !!!

Thanks

berrymoss

Berrymoss

Star parties are suitable for all, and if your a beginner, you will get lots out of being there. As for what happens, that's pretty dependant on what mother nature decides for the weather. People tend to fall into two categories IMO, those who come pitch their tent and put up their telescope near to the tent, others congregate in groups with their telescopes. For example, the party I went to, I wasn't a member of this forum, nor any societies, I turned up, pitched my tent and scope, and within a couple of hours, had met up with several groups of very friendly astronomers (including the SGL mob) who made me feel very welcome.

My knowledge and experience has increased greatly from attending these events, astronomy is a great hobby as you can do it as a group and on your own.

People tend to be very accomodating, it's a chance to have a look at/through (always ask first though) various types of telescopes from a few inches to a couple of feet.

During the day there are walks, talks and a day of stalls and a chance to part from your money. There is a pub just 10 mins walk away (but heed Paul's warning above) to get a decent meal at least once a day, a cafe in the castle for breakfast.

To your final point, bring plenty of beer, if its raining/cloudy group/teambuilding occurs under pop-up gazebo's. I hope this paints a good picture and that you decide to come, this spring's event was an absolute cracker.

Steve..

That's a popular combination, there is a minimum stay but I think it's two nights anyway, it will tell you on the form. People slowly arrive from the first day. As with most things though, the best pitches go quickly so arriving last, especially of it's a bit wet/soggy underfoot, could make finding somewhere to pitch your tent more difficult (unlike the like's of Kelling, it's pretty much a free-for-all, the only distinction is hard standing area, electric supply area, and non-electric, which you decide on the form). The non electric field is slightly triangular in shape with high trees to NE/E which could posible limit your vista if you find yourself down at the far end.

Steve

I'm told all the hook up places have gone. Not a bad thing some would say. The non hook up is closer to the warm room, showers, cafe and pub !

Don't delay your booking form as remaining places are few.

If you've not used your gear from a dark site, prepare yourself for a treat. Kielder will show it off to its best.

In the unlikely event it rains, don't forget your wellies.

Dave.

Well I feel rather optimistic (going on record here) but .....I reckon that the Gods would have finished wringing out their wet towls by the end of Oct. I feel sure that the last few Octs have been rather warm and mild, so I think we should have a very good chance of a few V.good clear nights !

(Glenmorangie talking !)

Karlo :thumbleft:

Is this suitable for a complete beginner?

I've got myself a Celestron Omni XLT 150. Managed to get it out last night for the first time.

Should I bring it with me? I'd be bringing my tent.

What happens at these Star Parties? Do i also bring beer !!!

Thanks

berrymoss

By all means, come and bring your scope. It's a respectable size, but I've seen people arrive at star parties with 60mm refractors, and nobody laughs at them. To their faces, anyway. :clouds2: I took my 4.5" reflector to two star parties. I did use it, to take advantage of the great skies, but I spent a lot of time looking through other people's scopes, and learning all sorts of things that would have taken a lot longer on my own.

Last star party I attended, I was able to look through a friend's 25" dob, and his 8mm Ethos eyepiece. That don't happen in my back yard, eh? :)

Archived