Narrowband

Kielder Autumn Event

• Replies 237
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just noticed that Kielder and surrounding area is viewable on google earth.

How marvelous.

Gives a good idea of what to expect.

To those that have been before. Which bit of the campsite is for tents/no leccy pitches? Which building is the pub(rather important)?

And talking of pitches. Are you allocated a bit of field, or is it 1st come, 1st served. How does the car situation work. Does one take the car up to to said pitch or is there a car parking bit?

Months away, I know, but really looking forward to it.

Andy.

The buildings in the middle are:-

bottom: showers and toilet block

top : warm room and tiny but essential shop

To the nth west is the hard standings bit to the left of it is the leccy field(s)

South east of the shower block etc is for the normal tent pitches.

The pub is to the sth east of this -just follow the little path thru the bottom of the field and your pretty much there.

No car park as such, take your car as close to your pitch, onto the grass if you dare or park 1/2 on 1/2 off the "roads" you can see.

55:13:58N 2:35:32 W or NE34 8UG for sat navs

see you there !

As you look at SteveL's google map north is pretty much as it appears to the top of the page(just in case one might be wondering)

Karlo

All summed up rather nicely. Be a tad careful about using Sat Nav - some poor bloke was routed down the 12 mile forest drive - probably England's most remote road - hauling his caravan, courtesy of the Pentagon. The main way in from the east is by following the C200 - a very good road - round the southern shores of Kielder Water. The campsite is towards western end. If you are coming from the west, the route is via Newcastleton, Scotland. Kielder Water and Forest Park is brown signed from either direction from a decent way out. Both ways in offering some great views.

Cheers

Richard

Thanks chaps.

Oooh, the pub is quite close. How tragic :hello2:

Anyone know where I can purchase some red plastic film stuff, for covering up my cars 'courtesy' lights. blumming loads in a megane.

Andy.

Andy

Give me a shout when you arrive - I've got plenty of spare red film, you are more than welcome to some. I'll be pitched just to the right of the warm room as a you look north towards the bridge on the non hook-up side (smallish grey tent with orange flashings). I'll be there for the duration.

Cheers

Richard

Andy

Give me a shout when you arrive - I've got plenty of spare red film, you are more than welcome to some. I'll be pitched just to the right of the warm room as a you look north towards the bridge on the non hook-up side (smallish grey tent with orange flashings). I'll be there for the duration.

Cheers

Richard

Richard, can I take you up on that offer too? when I lock or unlock the car it lights up like a christmas tree.

cheers

Are you bringing your bungalow again Steve :)

Definately will be, and some family to put in it this time. Hoping to get there on the Wednesday again.

Steve..

Great stuff Steve, you were rattling around a bit in that tent on your own last time :( I'm planning to arrive early afternoon on Thursday, hope to see you then.

Ian

• 2 weeks later...

Not too late to book pitches? Shame there's no leccy left...but Mum's offered to drive me up and then the folks'll stay in a hotel somewhere :shock: . Might wait until next year though, when I can get a bit more organised.

I'm still a bit concerned about the weather, though! Might need to find a larger ground sheet for the tent.

Kurt

I still have a few days left to book off work so I'd like to get to this one.

Who do I contact about available pitches? I don't electrickery, just enough space for a small one-man tent and my little Citroen Saxo hatchback and 12" dob.

I think I may need to invest in some of groundsheet for the 'scope base and some wellies too and maybe some sort of non-electric heater for the tent too - any recommendations for a small gas or oil heater?

Just a couple of non-hook up pitches left as of tonight (2/9/08) - so be quick if you would like to come along. Booking instructions on the website as per above. Thanks for everyone's support. Just a reminder that the main day at Kielder Castle (visitor centre for Kielder Forest, Northumberland) on 1 November is free to everyone. Vendors so far signed-up include the Widescreen Centre, Rother Valley Optics, Zerochromat, Astrodevelopments, Astrosource, Astro-Trac, Ian King Imaging, Astronomica and Marshall Nightsky Ceilings. There'll be a couple of talks, BBQ etc, all from 11am to 4pm-ish.

Cheers

Richard

Archived