SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

AP scope/mount options.

Looking at an AP setup for my DSLR.

Was going to go for the iOptron ZEQ25 and a frac.

Looking around I am thinking maybe it better for me to buy a bigger scope for visual as well as AP.

Any suggestions?

Have a look at the field of view calculator http://www.12dstring.me.uk/fovcalc.php and put in your relevant scope camera combo details. You may be surprised at how large some of the DSO's are!

You need an Equatorial mount, there's no way round that if you want to do DSO imaging. An SCT such as the Celestron Edge series are not for the faint hearted, especially if you are starting out.

Thought a Newt would be better as generally they are around f5.

I'll probably need a field flattener and a collimation tool of some sort.

Never had a Newt before but collimation can't be that hard as I'm mechanically minded.

Thought a Newt would be better as generally they are around f5.

I'll probably need a field flattener and a collimation tool of some sort.

Never had a Newt before but collimation can't be that hard as I'm mechanically minded.

I used a Baader laser for Collimation less than a minute to tweak it every time i put it out with clear skys, you won't need a field flattener, but you will need a Coma Corrector, with good PA that will give your reasonable lengthy subs, but further down the road a guide scope and a guide CCD will allow for 10 minutes or more per sub...

My set-up is good for both visual and imaging although the 200P can be a bit of a sail so you can't have any breeze! As has been said, you'd need a coma corrector, but you would need to move the mirror up the scope a little to achive focus with it. I use my frac for the larger DSOs such as nebulae or large galaxy clusters.

My images are on Flickr under Alexandra Browne. I can't give you a link as I'm at work and the site's blocked here!

Good luck!

Alexxx

I have a Skywatcher 200pds and a Skywatcher ED80 - the ED80 is FAR easier to use for imaging but the 200PDS whilst it produces good images in perfect conditions is a pain if there is the slightest breeze and the collimation needs to be spot on.

I use an Orion Sirius (HEQ5) but for imaging the 200PDS really needs something bigger/heavier like an NEQ6 etc

Agree with all above.  Check the FOV calculator as previously suggested.  M42 is too big for my 9.25 SCT!  Just about squeezes in with a 0.63 reducer and a DSLR crop sensor.

Definitely HEQ5 Pro.

Good luck, Chris

No idea about the ZEQ25 but it seems an excessive price tag for what you get. The tripod looks weak. My experience of the SmartEQ pro is the same, the tripod is poor. For £630 from FLO you could get and HEQ Syntrek with a HitecAstro EQDIR adapter (£28) thus saving £189. If you're keen on the synscan you still save £100. The benefit of the Syntrek and EQDIR is that it integrates with your laptop so that you can do goto and alignment though stellarium of cdc.

A decent imaging APO Frac will put you back about £520 for an Equinox 80 or £370 for a WO ZS71. Don't even bother with an Achro for imaging, the chromatic aberration is terrible. You'll need to budget an extra £70 for a field flattener (the SW one is great). 

Overall, if you'd already budgeted for an APO frac then the saving on the HEQ5 vs ZEQ25 would be enough to either fund an additional scope like a newt such as the Skywatcher 150p which would give you a longer FL and tighter FOV on smaller DSO's or you could invest in a guide scope and guide cam. If you want to do subs longer than say 2 mins you'll need this eventually. You'll also need a timer shutter release for anything over 30 seconds on your D5100 I think. You can pick them up from ebay or amazon for less than £20. 

My favourite setup (since it's my own): HEQ5 Pro, 130PDS, Canon450D, 9x50 finder guider with a QHY5. Both camera bought used. If you can pick up a HEQ5 used, that'd be great...

There's a thread here with "imaging with a 130pds". Check it out!!

Budget was around £1500 overall for setup.

I've seen the remotes for the camera on Amazon cheap enough and programmable.

Might get a biggish newt and then buy the frac later on because at least then I have a good mount.

I'm used tobthe synscan handset as I have the Skywatcher 127 goto mak.

I wouldn't go too big on the Newt for imaging. It does start to become a bit of a batlle with balance having to be perfect, a windless night, etc etc. Are you going to be in a fixed location or mobile? If mobile I'd far rather stick to a small refractor. I would also guide from day one. It's part of imaging life unless you approach £10K for your mount.

Olly

http://ollypenrice.smugmug.com/Other/Best-of-Les-Granges/22435624_WLMPTM#!i=2266922474&k=Sc3kgzc

I have a Zeq 25 mount & i find it easy to use the Gps is quite slow but otherwise its good the legs are very sturdy and  put my 80 ed on it its not as light as they make out but then againI tend to move it as one (minus the scope).

All i will say is buy the best mount you can afford if it's only going in the backyard get the h/duty eq5 ( 18Kg capacity) if your thinking of going out & about the get the eq5 lighter version (9Kg capacity) or the ioptron (12.5Kg cap).

I think a lot of people will opt for skywatcther range  because as stated above they don't know enough about the ioptron's I've only had mine 6 weeks  but very pleased with it  I'm still learning about the controls (pec etc) but i can set it up  quite easy now, I've also downloaded the ascom drivers and a plug-in called stellarscope so i can run it with stellarium but thats another tale.

Hi John, with that budget you're pretty set. IMHO once you've tried alignment and goto using stellarium and an EQ direct module you'll be hooked. Definitely worth the saving to get a guide scope and camera.

Ed

Archived