Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Explore Scientific 16" dob

I might've missed something, but what's the alternative position for these altitude bearings?

I think I might have inadvertently caused some confusion here. When the scope is assembled, it is pretty obvious how it all fits together. there are two sets of screw holes in the mirror box for the alternative altitude bearing placement (dependent on how much weight you have at the eyepiece end). My confuddlement was how to pack the altitude bearings away into the rocker box when the scope is packed away - it is that conundrum to which I have found a solution.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been Pfaffing (ghastly pun intended) around this morning.

The scope packs down to an approximate cube of approx 62cm edge plus the tubes (125cm) and collimating tool. Cover is approx 65cm edge for easy on-off without snagging. Thinking I might add some weight to the bottom hem in order to really make it "easy on". (Once the builders are finished, I'm going to have to get it out of the living room, but too much dust everywhere else downstairs at present.)

post-358-0-43906100-1397392465_thumb.jpg

(metre-rule included for scale)

If you use lycra, make sure the "carrier" fabric isn't hydrophilic, or it will get sodden & heavy.

I used ripstop nylon, merely because it's what I had in the junkbox. Does the job.

On the batphone, so expect weird autocorrect

(I usually don't bother observing when there's a Moon).

Oh, are you being a mite selenophobic ?

A bit of selenophillia would help recover half your life  :) :)

ooops, sorry, a bit more drift seems to be in the offing :)

Seriously tho', I do appreciate, and follow with interest,  these reports on the 16"

keep up the good work and ignore noises off ;):)

Sorry for asking too many questions...

- Have you considered covering the top part as well?

- If you pull the telescope fully assembled, is it sturdy enough to stay together - any moving parts or wobbly bits? With my Flextube, I can still - with a little bit of force - push or pull the base with the scope mounted if I want to move the telescope, say, 50cm into  a different position.

Sorry for asking too many questions...

Don't be - the only silly question is the one you want to ask but don't ask!

- Have you considered covering the top part as well?

Yes - if I have problems with the secondary dewing up, I will fill the gaps with tyvek sheet or similar.

- If you pull the telescope fully assembled, is it sturdy enough to stay together - any moving parts or wobbly bits? With my Flextube, I can still - with a little bit of force - push or pull the base with the scope mounted if I want to move the telescope, say, 50cm into  a different position.

As long as you are strong enough to lift the whole thing, it shouldn't be a problem - there are handles in the rocker box. I wouldn't risk my (already knackered) back trying it, though.

Hello,

I took me an hour do assembly it without instructions. I have no experience with Truss.

Have anyone found the "Dust protection caps for open aperture" as stated in the ES website?

Also, how do you keep the primary mirror safe and dust free during transport? Cover? foam?

Can you please show me a picture of the dob. dissembled?

Many thanks

Any further news on the performance and structure?

Haven't had it out under the stars again yet (weather, family commitments, manflu) but, having heard of some "issues" with the bottom end,  I did remove the mirror and had a good look at the structure:

* Rollers: stiff, but rotational.

* Roller brackets: each held by four rivets in the 16". All rivets tight & secure (see image).

msg-358-0-90832400-1398170366_thumb.jpg

* Flotation cell  triangles: only one floated. Now all do.

* Safety straps: one showed some excess adhesive; others fine, all seemed secure. Absolute beast to get back; see later.

* Cell seemed fine.

It took me an hour and a half to get the mirror back in. The problem is the straps or, more precisely, the thumbscrews that fix them to the cell. I don't have particularly large hands (size 8.5 glove), but I found it all but impossible to get the thumbscrews to engage with their holes & thread in. I eventually resorted to doing it from underneath, using a plastic strip cut from a disposable plastic tray to hold the thumbscrew in place while I wangled fingers into position to get half a turn on it before applying finger-and-thumb. The plastic strap then tears free of the thumbscrew.

Apologies for the out-of focus image, but it should suffice (I'm damned if I'm doing it again unless I have to!)

msg-358-0-95594300-1398170363_thumb.jpg

I also reversed the boundary layer fans; they now blow. Will probably fit a pot to control them, as I have no doubt that they don't need to be as strong in use.

Haven't had it out under the stars again yet (weather, family commitments, manflu) but, having heard of some "issues" with the bottom end,  I did remove the mirror and had a good look at the structure:

* Rollers: stiff, but rotational.

* Roller brackets: each held by four rivets in the 16". All rivets tight & secure (see image).

* Flotation cell  triangles: only one floated. Now all do.

* Safety straps: one showed some excess adhesive; others fine, all seemed secure. Absolute beast to get back; see later.

* Cell seemed fine.

It took me an hour and a half to get the mirror back in. The problem is the straps or, more precisely, the thumbscrews that fix them to the cell. I don't have particularly large hands (size 8.5 glove), but I found it all but impossible to get the thumbscrews to engage with their holes & thread in. I eventually resorted to doing it from underneath, using a plastic strip cut from a disposable plastic tray to hold the thumbscrew in place while I wangled fingers into position to get half a turn on it before applying finger-and-thumb. The plastic strap then tears free of the thumbscrew.

Apologies for the out-of focus image, but it should suffice (I'm damned if I'm doing it again unless I have to!)

I also reversed the boundary layer fans; they now blow. Will probably fit a pot to control them, as I have no doubt that they don't need to be as strong in use.

Hi Steve,

Oh no...no way I'd that, scary enough as it is!! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived