Upgrades for my Skyliner 200

davekip

Hi, I'm totally new but have been reading everything I can find and just thought I'd get some advice if anyone has experience of the eyepieces I'm considering for my scope. It's an 8in (1200mm) Skyliner 200.

I haven't got loads to spend but would like to slowing upgrade my eyepiece set, it came with the standard 10mm and 25mm eyepieces plus I brought a 2x barlow.

I've been looking at the Celestron X-CEL LX's and Baader Hyperions although the Hyperions may need to be secondhand, thinking about a range of say 5mm, 8mm, 17mm and 24mm (I think that was the Hyperions sizes so similar in Celestron if different) plus after reading a few recommendations on here a 32mm Televue Plossl. It wouldn't be all at once but nice to make a start and have a bit of a plan.

So any advice on either, new Celestron or secondhand Hyperions? Any others to consider?

I have a bit of light pollution where I live and have brought a filter recommended on here, but guessing I need to find somewhere dark to go as well!

BTW- great forum, loving my new bobbie when the skies clear.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Of course should read hobby not bobbie!

Should also mention the scope is f5.91 not sure if this is considered fast or slow, a lot of the threads mention that certain EP's are better in fast or slow scopes?

I'd strongly recommend buying S/H no matter what you decide to go for. It'll cost you least should you don't get along with what you've bought. And, before pushing the button, use the stock EPs as much as possible so you get a good idea (as good as it can be of course) what you prefer, better sharpness and Contrast? eye relief? wider fielf ov view? The costs will be higher the more you want (surprise :evil: ), sometimes even unproportionally, you might think.

BST starguider`s are excellent EP`s from skys the limit get very good reviews on here i have 4 and they are very good the 15mm was voted best of the bunch in Sky At Night magazine January issue they are only £49 may be worth a punt.

thinking about a range of say 5mm, 8mm, 17mm and 24mm 

Had you thought of the Hyperion zoom model? It has 'click-stops' at  8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 mm. ​Five lenses in on effectively. Then just add a wide-field 32mm/34mm for diffuse viewing.

Had you thought of the Hyperion zoom model? It has 'click-stops' at  8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 mm. ​Five lenses in on effectively. Then just add a wide-field 32mm/34mm for diffuse viewing.

Hi no I hadn't thought about that, do you quality over the individual eyepieces? I know it's easier having one in that you can adjust but could maybe get 4 secondhand ones for the price of a new one of those.

cheers for the response.

Dave

Hi no I hadn't thought about that, do you quality over the individual eyepieces? I know it's easier having one in that you can adjust but could maybe get 4 secondhand ones for the price of a new one of those.

cheers for the response.

Dave

Very highly rated, convenient, slightly narrower FOV at 24mm than a standard EP, no significant loss of quality over standard EP's.  

There's loads of reviews on this site if you dig into the Eyepiece discussion threads. The 'zoomability' factor is useful too - find an object at low mag then zip on in there without fumbling with screws and various EP's.

Oh, yes: welcome to SGL!   :grin:

mace

The Hyperions show a fair bit of astigmatism (distorted stars) in focal ratios faster than around F/7 and my personal view is that they are overpriced when chosen for use in such a scope. The Hyperion zoom though does seem to be better corrected and the one I have at the moment is working pretty well in my 12" F/5.3 dob although the narrower field of view should be better corrected of course.

Secondhand is a good way to go but I would be looking out for some used Tele Vue plossls.

Well in between posting this and the responses I saw some Baader Hyperions listed on eBay all by the same person so dropped them an email asking for a deal on buying them all (including two adjustment rings) and a deal was done for 5mm, 8mm, 17mm and 24mm wonder if I've made a mistake now reading some of the above....

Oh well see how they are and guess if t I don't get on with them I shouldn't lose anything much when selling on again. Should be a improvement over the standard EPs that came with the scope.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a Televue 32mm plossl to try.

Thanks for the advice even if I appeared to ignore it!!

Well in between posting this and the responses I saw some Baader Hyperions listed on eBay all by the same person so dropped them an email asking for a deal on buying them all (including two adjustment rings) and a deal was done for 5mm, 8mm, 17mm and 24mm wonder if I've made a mistake now reading some of the above....

Oh well see how they are and guess if t I don't get on with them I shouldn't lose anything much when selling on again. Should be a improvement over the standard EPs that came with the scope.

I'll be keeping an eye out for a Televue 32mm plossl to try.

Thanks for the advice even if I appeared to ignore it!!

They are well made and well designed eyepieces so I'm sure you will feel that they are a big step up from the standard ones. They are easy to view though too so I'm sure you will not regret buying them. 

It's only the edges of the field where the quality breaks down a bit and to be honest it's very difficult to find widefield eyepieces for under £100 where this is not the case.

I usually recommend Tele Vue plossls because, while not widefields, the quality of the view is as good as the very best out there and the field of view they do show is sharp to the edge.

But the Hyperions will seem great I'm sure  :smiley:

They are well made and well designed eyepieces so I'm sure you will feel that they are a big step up from the standard ones. They are easy to view though too so I'm sure you will not regret buying them. 

It's only the edges of the field where the quality breaks down a bit and to be honest it's very difficult to find widefield eyepieces for under £100 where this is not the case.

I usually recommend Tele Vue plossls because, while not widefields, the quality of the view is as good as the very best out there and the field of view they do show is sharp to the edge.

But the Hyperions will seem great I'm sure  :smiley:

Thanks John, I spent ages reading researching etc and just thought good price decent start point and I can always upgrade further or add to collection when I have more experience (and spare cash!), I was giving myself a headache trying to decide which way to go. Now just hope for some clear skies so I can learn my way round the sky more, really want to find some deep sky stuff but fear the light pollution may mean that's not going to happen without a very let night once the street lights are out! Had some good fun and got quite excited at the weekend finding some double stars from the 'turn left at Orion' book :-)

My wife thinks I've gone mad, big change for fast cars and bikes- cheaper and safer too of course not that I've given up on those just yet ;-)

Archived