Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi all. New to all this but immensely enthusiastic. First telescope due this week

Leorossi

Hello people 

I have a feeling this site will be an invaluable resource as well as a meeting place for new friends   :)

Well i'll start with a little about myself, i'm a 30 year old from Blackpool who has always wanted to buy a telescope and 'get into' stargazing, this week i finally took the step to get off my backside and purchase a telescope. My son is coming up to 4yo and its a hobby that i want to grow and share with him during his formative years.  After doing a little research ( maybe not enough?) I bought a Celestron SkyProdigy 130 for what seems to be a really good price

I'm a absolute beginner and the scope seemed to be ideal for someone like me due to the automated setting up process, even though i'm wanting to learn from the ground up on the subject 

This post is basically just to say HI to everyone, i plan to spend a lot of time on the site and want to learn as much as possible

Thanks for looking!

Lee

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Lee and welcome to the forum. As a starting point you may wish to consider a copy of 'Turn Left At Orion' - a good guide for the beginner as it helps with the location of many targets, and gives an idea how things will appear through your scope.

Good luck and all the best

Phil

Hello Lee and welcome to Stargazers

You might also consider finding and joining a local astronomy society or group. 

Good luck with your new hobby

Andrew

Thanks for the advise, i emailed the Blackpool and District Astronomical Society around a week ago but not had a reply yet, they have a meeting coming up this monday and they site says beginners are welcome so im going to pop along. Im extremely excited about going to it. I looked into astronomy forums and this seems to be a very active one, get used to seeing me around :)

Hi Lee and a warm welcome to SGL.

Good to see you are getting your first scope and the Sky Prodigy is a good start for a goto mount - I know I considered getting one as my first goto. Things are a lot more complicated with a standard goto as the setting up can take quite some time to get used to - so at least you have by-passed that one.  :grin:

I hope you enjoy your new kit and Happy Stargazing.

Hi Lee and welcome to SGL - You may like to look at downloading the free planetarium software Stellarium. Excellent for helping you navigate around the skies as well.

Look forward to seeing you around :smiley:

HI Lee and welcome to the forum. Plenty of help here as and when you need it and great news that you are getting your son involved in stargazing - nothing like having an observing buddy to share those magic moments with.

Clear skies and hope you enjoy the forum.

James

Hi and welcome.

Like you, I'm learning 'from the ground up' - and loving it!

Spending too much time on this site, though, 'cos the skies have been horrible for many nights now ...

Archived