Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hi everybody

Djhgg

I'm new to this site and star gazing in general. Last night I went for a run on the beach and afterwards spent a couple hours just looking at the stars. That got me interested in knowing more about them.

While I've got this thread I guess I'll ask a question too; last night I saw a bright orange star (or maybe a planet, or something else) that seemed to be moving. I started watching the stars around 11:30 and at that time this 'star' was low in the horizon and about at the center of my field of vision when looking straight out to sea.  About 1.5 hours later it had moved up higher in the sky, and it may have also moved a bit to the south (I guess?). Anyone know what it might have been? When I first saw it I thought it might be Mars because of it being bright orange, but then when I noticed it moved so far I was curious if Mars moves that much in the night sky. I don't know if this is a stupid question or not, I really know nothing about astronomy so sorry if it is. This was in the south east United States, if that helps.

Anyways thanks guys I look forward to being a part of this community! 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome along :)

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable will be along shortly to tell you what the object was...but just in case...

Download Stellarium from here : http://stellarium.org/  (It's free!!)

Then 'tell' it where you were (Press <F6> for the location window) , change it's date and time to when you were viewing (Press <F5>) and you should be able to see what it was.

Thanks everybody!

Just a quick addition...

I just loaded Stellarium up, set it to your approximate location (facing East) and it looks like it was Mars that you saw :)

Wow, this is really cool. I just downloaded it and it was definitely Mars. Thanks Andy.

Archived