Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade LX200 classic Handbox repair?

lguise

I have heard rumours of someone 'up North' who can repair old Meade Classic handsets. Any contact information would be appreciated. I think the common problem is a voltage regulator or capacitor that blows.

Many thanks,

Linton

AS far as I know, there are two options.  Brian Bond used to do repairs. (Sorry I haven't got his  email address)

Alternatively a chap in the US makes a plug-in circuit board that fools the LX200 into thinking a handbox is present so that you can still control it from a PC.

http://www.dv-fansler.com/dvf%20Technologies/lx200_keypad_sim.htm

I think I read somewhere on one of the Meade Yahoo forums of an upgrade where you change the board on the base and it then works with the latest handbox, still need to get a new handbox but should be easier to get the later one.

Also benefit from extra catalogues and it runs of a standard 12 volt supply.

Probably costs a lot of dollars so depends how much you want to spend.

Dave 

As Michael suggests - tracking down Brian Bond may help - his website is at http://www.bbcl03736.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ but does not seem to have been updated for a while.

Are you sure it's a handset problem ? 

It's more common for the boards in the mount to go - if the handset capacitors go they are likely to damage the connectors or membrane, and then the handset tends to be not amenable to repair.

A friend of mine helped repair the main mount boards on mine  - it was not too hard a job - any half competent electronic engineer should be able to do it (if that is the problem).

Otherwise try joining the LX200-Classic yahoo group - there may be help there...

Cheers,

Callum

Archived