Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

2x Barlow question

Hi everyone! :hello:

This is my first post so be nice haha!

I've recently bought my first ever telescope, Skywatcher Heritage, and although it came with 2 standard eye pieces, in preparation I bought a 2x Barlow and a moon filter.

I only bought cheap ones because I'm very new to the world of telescopes and didn't want to pay too much in case I inadvertently did something wrong, like buy the wrong size or something! So I had a look on ebay and got them from there.

Now, I haven't used the moon filter yet but with the 2x Barlow, it doesnt seem to focus with my scope.

I re-focus when putting a new eye piece in and refocus again when I put the Barlow in but my focus thingy on the telescope tightens all the way and it's just not quite enough to focus fully with the Barlow.

I was wondering if this is just because its a cheap one and if I pay for a decent one it will work better? I didnt want to go out and buy a more expensive one just for the same thing to happen.

I have litterally got the scope out of the box and started so I haven't messed with anything other than getting the red dot finder sorted. The eye pieces I have are a 25mm and a 10mm.

Many thanks

Bexidoodle

Hi Bex. I have a Heritage also and a 2x barlow. It could be that the barlow is a dud (it happens), or it could be that it needs to be inserted into the focuser a bit less then when fully inserted. Before tightening the locking screw on the focuser, try manually moving the barlow+lens out a bit towards you and keep doing this at various distances to see if anything focuses. If it does then lock the screw to hold the barlow in. What make of barlow is it?

It might work. 

Paul.

Hi Paul

Thanks, I'll try that.

Actually, I think it's that cheap it doesnt even have a make!!

It doesn't say anything on it and the ebay listing just say it's standard, I did check the reviews and they were favourable.

I do know it's plastic though and not metal :)

Thanks

Thanks a lot for your help, Paul.

I have just gone and tried again (luckily Jupiter is out!) and pulling the barlow out slightly makes the image bigger whereas I need it to get slightly smaller.

It does work better with the 10mm compared to the 25mm but I would expect it to work properly with both? I even tried it on a star and it was still slightly blurry.

On their own the eye pieces work fine but I will have a look at colimation also. I was hoping I wouldnt need to as it sounds scary lol

Many thanks

Bex

10mm+2x barlow=5mm ep

25mm+2x barlow=12.5mm ep

The barlow and 10mm ep will be too much magnification really. The 25mm and barlow should be fine. I assume you have tried both ep's without the barlow?.

Also remember that whenever you change the ep over from one to the other that you must refocus the scope.............even when using the 2x barlow. Dont attempt collimation tonight while its dark. Read the process over and over until it makes sense and then give it a go during the day. To be honest i doubt if the Heritage needs collimating. Its a very robust scope and i imported mine from England and it was fine. I've only collimated it once and that was just to see how its done. Still do check it though.

Thanks Paul.

Yep, definately re-focus when I change anything and it definately works better with the 10mm compared to the 25mm.. weird. I will check collimation tomorrow, in the meantime I'll mail the guy I bought it from, maybes get another one sent out.. worth a try lol.

Many thanks

Bex

Check out this link:

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/skywatcher-eyepieces/skywatcher-deluxe-2x-barlow.html

Some of the later models of the Heritage come with a Skywatcher 2x barlow included. Mine didnt as it was the first batch to be released. If your barlow is plastic i think it may be from a cheaper different scope.

Just curious, do you have the Skywatcher Heritage 130P or the Skywatcher 76?. 

Mine is the Skywatcher Heritage 130P

Same as mine. Ive probably left out other factors, and it could be a bit of everything i mentioned or just one single factor. Is there any chance you can post a pic of the barlow and/or a pic pointing down the focuser so we can have a look at the mirror alignment?

If not, dont worry. I'm guessing here that the weak link in the chair is the non-discript plastic barlow.

Paul

I think you may be trying to push magnification too much with budget eyepieces and a very budget barlow

If you bought from a "bedroom seller" I do not think they will be able to advise much

This is a wide field scope. There are plenty more things in the sky apart from Jupiter to look at.  Such as 

rich star fields and open clusters. Stick the 25mm in and enjoy the targets that this telescope was designed for  :smiley:

You wont be disappointed 

This is a wide field scope. There are plenty more things in the sky apart from Jupiter to look at. 

Sorry, but the Heritage 130P is not a wide field scope. It is more . It is a very able 5 inch scope well able to show Moon,clusters,planets,galaxies and nebs. 

My 70mm Celestron Travelscope is a "wide field" scope which does not do more then it says it does.

The Heritage 130p is a fine scope and will/does serve any owner well.

OK, I know nothing . Though you could say I,ve looked through plenty of scopes  :cool:

"Moon,clusters,planets,galaxies and nebs. "  BTW 4 of these 5 targets are wide field targets (what I was getting at)

Think you slightly mis-understood my quote

Red writing in posts is shouting.. 

I agree with Luke..

check your collimation first...

- secondary underneath the focuser?

- secondary round?

- primary collimated?

might be a silly remark but check if your secondary isn't covered in dew...

your 25mm should give you about the same mag in a barlow as your 10mm without.

check with and without the barlow...do you get blurry views only with your barlow?

Then the focus is out or you have a bad barlow.

This is a wide field scope. There are plenty more things in the sky apart from Jupiter to look at. 

Sorry, but the Heritage 130P is not a wide field scope. It is more . It is a very able 5 inch scope well able to show Moon,clusters,planets,galaxies and nebs. 

My 70mm Celestron Travelscope is a "wide field" scope which does not do more then it says it does.

The Heritage 130p is a fine scope and will/does serve any owner well.

Sorry. I tend to use red to quote people. I'll remember not to do it again.

did I read plastic barlow?

* Cringe !!! *

problem solved....

I have a cheap plastic Barlow and it works fine,. It is a 3X Barlow and I put it in the focuser tube all the way, no need to extract and tighten higher up.

Perhaps more the issue is a dud Barlow rather than it simply being plastic. I understand the OPs point re upgrading vs. cost.

Without seeing barlow in question, we cant really accuse it of being the blame, but i think it might have a lot to do with it. I have a well known branded 2x barlow and as far as i can tell having used it a few times,its a dud. So if well known branded barlows can be duds, i'm sure non-branded plastic ones can also be duds.

sometimes the word plastic resonates negative vibes when read in

context with regards to appliances in which it should not be used (or is not expected to be..)

such as..

- brake pads..

- airplane parts..

- flowers...

not to be judgmental but..

you wouldn't buy a plastic scope..

would you?

(I know...some airplane parts are plastic...)

Heya. Forgive me if I`m repeating anyones answer already (and forgive my poor English). 

Assuming you own the Skywatcher Heritage 130p flextube :

I have the same scope and experience the same "problem" as you, but it is an easy fix.

Try this : (leave the collimation for now)

When using the barlow, just move the secondary mirror about 1cm towards the primary mirror, this is of course very easy on this scope

you just dont pull the tube to its fully extended position (leave 1 cm, or the width of your little finger). 

I have to do this using stock eyepiece and barlow and also on my baader hyperion 8-24 zoom.  

The 10mm + 2x barlow gives you 130x which works really fine on moon, jupiter and Saturn. It is, from my novice experience, definitely NOT too much magnification on this little scope, It handles 180x on the moon, but on some nights 100x leaves more details on Jupiter, than say 130x. (but then we are talking about seeing conditions and not what this scope is capable of)

Rune

Heya. Forgive me if I`m repeating anyones answer already (and forgive my poor English). 

Assuming you own the Skywatcher Heritage 130p flextube :

I have the same scope and experience the same "problem" as you, but it is an easy fix.

Try this : (leave the collimation for now)

When using the barlow, just move the secondary mirror about 1cm towards the primary mirror, this is of course very easy on this scope

you just dont pull the tube to its fully extended position (leave 1 cm, or the width of your little finger). 

I have to do this using stock eyepiece and barlow and also on my baader hyperion 8-24 zoom.  

The 10mm + 2x barlow gives you 130x which works really fine on moon, jupiter and Saturn. It is, from my novice experience, definitely NOT too much magnification on this little scope, It handles 180x on the moon, but on some nights 100x leaves more details on Jupiter, than say 130x. (but then we are talking about seeing conditions and not what this scope is capable of)

Rune

At risk of beeing accused for flooding (can`t edit my post) this forum,  I feel I must emphasize what I mean :

- A better barlow will NOT solve the focusing problem you are experiencing. Do not buy a better one for this reason.

- Move the secondary about 1cm closer to the primary, then try focusing again, Im pretty sure this will solve your problem.

- When observing Jupiter with this scope I most often end up in the 120-140x range. => grs and shadowtransits clearly visible, although observing time  improves 

what you can see.

On Jupiter :  The 10mm + 2xbarlow will give you about 70-75 seconds of observing time (letting Jupiter drift), before you have to nudge the scope.

On Moon  :   I can go up to 180x, and the Moon is still crisp, crystal clear, and totally breathtaking. 

On 87% illuminated moon : Still magnificent, and very bright, but bright in a good way, meaning no filter needed or wanted.

hmm.  Im afraid my post didnt clearify anything at all, but hey its cloudy outside, and there are important footballgames on the telly right now.

Regards

Rune

Archived